1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Quick way to toggle ambient display on off?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dan55, Aug 3, 2019.

1. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi,
    Was hoping there was way to turn off ambient say at night using schedule or a toggle at least .. but can’t seem to find one :/

Thanks
    Dan

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Tasker or Automate from Llama labs in the play store may work

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I just have it set to wake with a double tap, but don't leave it on full time.

TBH I make so little use of it that I had to test just now to see whether it was still like that or whether I'd turned off completely. I guess this teaches me empirically that ambient/always-on displays are not a useful feature for me.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

:D yes I guess it does ...I’ve been using glimpse on my Sony for a while but wanted to try and stick with the ambient style for the px2
    ...did have a look at tasker using tasker tools but seem to have to use adb...can’t be bothered with that right now :D

....having a look at notific app that does its own style of AO screen

Thanks
    Dan

5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I generally just turn the phone face-down when I don't want to look at the ambient display. The proximity sensor will automatically turn off the display when it is covered.

6. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

ah yes good idea thanks

7. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

just found app called notifybuddy ... does a fake led flash per app ... nice :)

8. Hadron

VIP Member

The Pixel 2 has a real notification LED though. What advantage does this have?

9. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi ... it does? :/ .... i did wonder actually :D ... mine must be turned off by default then i guess
    ....the app does allow app specific colour changes which is quite cool ... if you are into notifications that it :)
    ta

ah ha! found setting ... but seems a bit hit and miss (mainly miss) re working ... works for a third party app but not for new sms or missed call :/

#9 dan55, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  10. Hadron

VIP Member

Can't remember missed calls but mine works fine for new SMS. Mind you I don't use Google's app for those, so I have more notification options.

11. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

ah i see - ta for update :)

12. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

trying out Lightflow led app .... used to use it all the time on sammy ... seems to do the biz :)

13. Hadron

VIP Member

Yeah, Google themselves are weak on customisation - you need third party apps to get the best out of the hardware.