1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

QWERTZ keyboard problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Middle, May 19, 2010.

1. Middle

Middle New Member

May 17, 2010
    So, I'm English but live in Switzerland. I brought my Desire on Orange.ch so it is set to use a QWERTZ keyboard layout. This wouldn't be a major issue, as I'm used to switching back-and-forth between QWERTZ and QWERTY, but there appear to be some glitches which mean that the input is inconsistent.

I have repeatedly encountered issues where the phone can't make up it's mind whether the key I pressed is a 'Y' or 'Z'. For instance, I press 'Z', it types 'Y' on screen, but then changes back to 'Z' when I type the next character. Then the auto-correct jumps in and makes some truly bizzare suggestions. Can be a little frustrating.

Seems worst in the SMS app, but seen it GMail and elsewhere. Ideally I'd like to change the phone to use QWERTY, but doesn't appear to be a setting for that... can change the keyboard style (from 'QWERTY' to compact to phone-style) but not the layout.

Suggestions welcome!

Advertisement

2. mbatson89

mbatson89 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    UK
    I could be wrong, and hopefully someone will correct me if so, but this could be sorted by flashing a generic ROM onto your Desire, as i assume (as you bought from Orange.ch) that yours is a network branded Switzerland specific version?

A guide for the above can be found here

3. Middle

Middle New Member

May 17, 2010
    Thanks... will look into that.

Tags: