1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Radio: 605.9 (930)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ibrick, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

Credit ksample8686 for the package, second link is from my dropbox in case his space is limited.

Link: http://db.tt/MaHHD9Qn

MD5: 27f3aef010e135365b98587adfabfb55

SHA1: 60442813e355e5b2be3768c60746b73a5e84e78b

Alternate dl: http://db.tt/wZGvHCsn

Desiel, Papadroid, digdug1 and 4 others like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

If need be I can try to host it later today or maybe someone with a premium file sharing plan could put it up

3. RandyRucker

RandyRucker Member

I assume this is the latest GB radio? What changes does it have if any?

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

From what I have seen reported, better CDMA/LTE handoff and the phone connects easier to LTE.

FWIW I know other LTE phones (Rezound and Gnex) connected to LTE much easier than the TB I would think this radio is built more like the more current versions used in the newer phones. On my bolt coming out of airplane mode it could take a few mins to connect to LTE with the GB OTA radios on the Gnex it connects right away, I think they are addressing that.

scotty85 and RandyRucker like this.
  5. turbonegro32

turbonegro32 Well-Known Member

anyone notice the difference?

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

If I can I will try to get it installed on my bolt tonight (my sister just started using it and I don't know if I will be able to pry it away from her;))

If I get it flashed I will see if she has noticed a difference after playing around with it for a while.

7. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

Ok so I flashed the radios last night.
    My signal strength went from -80's to -70's :) from one to two bars of signal strength to 3 or even all four at times. Data speeds over 3g seemingly increased also.
    I live in 3g only coverage but traveled a few miles into LTE a coverage area last night. My phone never picked up 4G by itself. I had to toggle airplane mode to get it but it was rock solid thereafter. 4G speeds definitely increased! I went from 10 mbps to 29mbps down and 1.5 up to over 2mbps up!
    I'm getting outstanding battery life but that could be due to flashing gingeritis last night also ;)

Oh yea, no prompt to update yet.

8. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Member

Will this flash both radios?

9. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Member

Sweet, thank you. Now to read about how to flash a radio.

11. RandyRucker

RandyRucker Member

With Gingeritis I have a signal strength number in the notification area. Is a bigger negative number stronger or weaker? I get usually around -109. If the number goes to -107 it turns red. I have never seen below -100 but I don't know if that is good or bad. :thinking:

12. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

Lower is better. Could just be your location. You could try updating your prl. To update a thunderbolts you remove the sim card for fifteen minutes then simply reinstall.

magpullin, Papadroid and RandyRucker like this.
  13. Joon525

Joon525 Member

14. RandyRucker

RandyRucker Member

Should I turn the phone on or off after I remove the sim card? Or does it matter? How do I tell it updated?

15. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

You need to remove the battery to access the sim card. Check your current prl menu/settings/about phone. Recheck after updating.

16. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

I'm not on an aosp ROM right now so I can't say.
    You can fix that issue yourself though. Flash a sense ROM, get a gps fix then restore your aosp ROM.

Yeahha likes this.
  17. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

I don't think the number in the status bar is correct. Double check in your phones settings. Menu/settings/about phone/signal strength.

18. RandyRucker

RandyRucker Member

Your right. The signal strength under phone settings says -85 to -83 dbm. I'm not sure why the signal strength in the notification bar is different.

19. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

Me either. I'm currently on proteks cm7 and when I put dbm in the status bar its correct. A bug in gingeritis I guess.

20. Joon525

Joon525 Member

I was hoping the new radio would fix it but it didn't. So I just did the Sense->AOSP trick.

21. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

Sitting on my office right now with the new radio. My office gets terrible data speeds/signal and, in fact, my battery drain is about double here as most everywhere else. Well, holy cow! Today I sit down and give the ol' speedtest a go. More than double the 3g speed I was getting and no more up/down up/down speeds. Did I mention it was raining and overcast?

22. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

OK, double wow! I thought maybe I can't really believe that I'm really getting that much improvement. Well, I just ran HBO Go, which doesn't work at my desk. I always get message that it can't play due to insufficient bandwidth. Well, today it starts right up and works great. I skip around the movie and it buffers and plays in seconds. I'm not in a 4g area so I don't know the affect there, but 3g signal strength in previously weak locations seems to be infinitely better. I am actually jaw-dropped shocked at the improvement.

scotty85 likes this.
  23. Sailing_Nut

Sailing_Nut Well-Known Member

What is the baseband version that you see after flashing this radio?

Want to make sure this is a newer version than I have on my phone. Thanks!

24. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

1.48.00.930w_3, 0.01.78.0916w_3

25. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

Well, maybe everything wasn't turned on yet in all the buildings here when I did my first test. The signal is now only ever so slightly better than prior to the update. HBO Go still doesn't give me the bandwidth error, but can now only open an audio only stream. Still an improvement, but not the jaw dropping one I described earlier. I'll see if this changes throughout the day.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews