• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Radio apps crashing on ZTE Majesty when web browsing with Opera

epp

Apr 28, 2012
Boston, MA
I have tried to listen to radio apps, specifically TuneIn and Radio FM on my ZTE Majesty, while using the Opera for Android web browser, only to have the radio apps unexpectedly crash (and sometimes restart), it doesn't matter whether the phone is on the mobile network or on WiFi.

Radio FM installs to the SD card by default and to save on phone storage space, Opera was also moved to the SD. TuneIn installs to the phone storage. TuneIn's settings previously had a 30-second pre-buffer and a 30-minute buffer size as I like to listen to it in the car, both of which were changed to 5 seconds and 5 minutes, respectively, yet TuneIn still crashed. Radio FM doesn't have such settings.

I have looked at other radio apps, specifically rad.io, but with one particular type of stream used with rad.io, there is a clicking sound coming out of the phone speaker, which does not occur with the other two apps on the same stream. This had been reported to rad.io some time ago, but in subsequent versions of the app, the clicking sound remains. I actually prefer TuneIn and rad.io as both have more of the local stations that Radio FM does not.

As to why I use Opera, both Firefox and Chrome ran erratically on this phone, after they had been used for a while.

Any thoughts as to why the radio apps are crashing? Thanks in advance.

Both TuneIn and Radio FM display their respective icon on the Notification Bar when they're running. When either "crashes", the icon disappears. I then went into the Apps/Running menu to see their process "Restarting".

It seems to be a crash, but the Android crash reporter doesn't automatically launch when these occur.

I am now trying the same, but using Opera Mini Beta (OMB) - also installed to the SD card. The TuneIn app hasn't yet "crashed" as described above, but there are occasional pauses in the audio stream when I'm using OMB, even when the web page has fully loaded and I'm only scrolling up and down the page.

Well, spoke to soon, TuneIn just crashed while OMB is loading in a new page.

It also crashed on its own with OMB running, but not actually doing anything.

Attachments

• tunein-crash.png
    tunein-crash.png
    57 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones