• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Radio Interface Resource Shortage FIX

what you need to investigate is if any boost users are having this issue on the evo design 4g.that way it would be more clear if its a tower issue or a phone issue.if its the latter i might be one of the first to jump ship to boost if its true that they are getting the epic 4g touch.

I've just google "Radio Interface Resource Shortage". The problem have been occurring on Sprint.

Definitely losing confidence in Sprint and HTC.

This Sprint thread started in 4/4, and no resolution. Thread contains posts from users in Florida, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Oregon, Texas, Indiana, Mass, Alabama, Maryland...and many more. Phones mentioned in this thread : Motorola Photon, Samsung Moment, Evo 3D, Evo Shift, Evo 4G.

Upvote 0
I've just google "Radio Interface Resource Shortage". The problem have been occurring on Sprint.

This Sprint thread started in 4/4, and no resolution. Thread contains posts from users in Florida, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Oregon, Texas, Indiana, Mass, Alabama, Maryland...and many more. Phones mentioned in this thread : Motorola Photon, Samsung Moment, Evo 3D, Evo Shift, Evo 4G.

I've been googling too but can't seem to find anything about the iphone having anything similar.

Not that I am an iphone fanatic, in fact, I would call myself somewhat of an Android fanboy, but I am half-way considering the iphone if I can get away from this issue. Price of the phone be damned - I'll pay the extra to get the reliability.

Upvote 0
So I bought this phone for my son last week and having these sms errors everyday ... called VM tech support ... the usual ...

What'a you guys think?

Should I just return the phone? Or do we really think they'll be able to fix this bug?

I have serious doubts they will fix it , especially when software updates are having to be obtained through the carrier...

That's one of the big reasons I am considering the iphone - when updates come out you just download them from Apple and go...

Most places give you 30 days to return the phone (like Best Buy where I got mine)... I'm serious considering picking up the iphone tomorrow before work, switch it onto my account, then during lunch going back and returning the Evo.

Upvote 0

i just watched an old phone dog review of the evo 3d on youtube and during it he had the fluctuating signal a lot of people have.he also brought up there was a text outage a few months before he did the vid and ever since his data speeds have been bad.he also said the radio is lacking in the evo 3d and sensation(both htc devices)

im wondering if they(sprint) are still having problems with some towers since that outage took place.it would kinda explain why not everyone has this problem.but like he said the radio is lacking in this phone and maybe its a combination of bad towers and bad signal strength.

anyways here is the vid if anyone is interested in it.he talks about it around 1 minute in and a little more later in the vid
HTC EVO 3D Review Part 2 - YouTube

Upvote 0
I've been googling too but can't seem to find anything about the iphone having anything similar.

Not that I am an iphone fanatic, in fact, I would call myself somewhat of an Android fanboy, but I am half-way considering the iphone if I can get away from this issue. Price of the phone be damned - I'll pay the extra to get the reliability.

I don't think iPhone has any issues. I can't find any either. Based on what I've read, this is a known issue as far back as November of 2011. It's amazing that Sprint/HTC still not acknowledging there's an issue here. I've just sent an email to HTC to search for the exact same error code that we are getting.

I don't know who's at fault. Error code explanation show this is a login/authentication error. Someone also explained when we get this type of error, it's because prl/profile is corrupted. Hence update of profile/prl usually fixes the problem.

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering of there are Evo V's out there that aren't having this problem?... Technical support told me they haven't been having many problems with this, and if it continues the only solution would be to return the phone. I just bought it from Radio Shack so I can keep returning them until they give me one that works, but I don't even know if I will ever get one that works without the error. Anybody not experiencing this problem with the Evo V??

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering of there are Evo V's out there that aren't having this problem?... Technical support told me they haven't been having many problems with this, and if it continues the only solution would be to return the phone. I just bought it from Radio Shack so I can keep returning them until they give me one that works, but I don't even know if I will ever get one that works without the error. Anybody not experiencing this problem with the Evo V??

I had mine almost an entire week before getting the first problem. I wouldn't be too quick to judge one as being ok until you've had it for a little while.

Upvote 0
Well I've had it for almost two weeks now, and i get an error message and have to do the ##CLEAR# process at least once a day on a good day. Between yesterday and today I've gotten 3 different sms error messages, one of which I've never even seen before. So it definitely is a problem, and I can't wait much longer to return it, as I only have 30 days. I just need to figure out if I should stick with the preferred Evo V and cross my fingers that one will work properly, or go ahead and quit wasting time and buy the One V, which I'd rather not have.

Upvote 0

since this is my 3rd evo and all had this problem from time to time its a safe bet that if you get the error with 1 phone you will get them with any evo.i get it a lot less then most but i also never use wifi(been posts that when it goes into deep sleep with wifi on you get the error a lot).i also never let my phone sleep.i dont know if it actually helps but i also stop using my phone for texts when im home and just use my pc since i run pdanet anyways.

Reactions: superman28
Upvote 0
I googled "radio interface resource shortage" and found this thread.

I just switched (back) to VM yesterday, and have had problems right away, with texting, largely, but also with receiving phone calls.

Before I go into tl;dr: is this phone/service worth keeping? I have 2 days left to return this phone (I bought it earlier to try out before I switched my service over), and found a supervisor who was willing to refund my months payment if I don't use any more minutes. So I don't have a lot of time to decide if I should stick with this, or give up.

I have been trying Boost for a few months. I have had zero issues with their texting. I get texts right away, no error messages, no delays. Perfect. But the 3G speeds I got from them were seriously pathetic, and I hated my phone (LG Marquee.) So I switched to VM for the Evo V and better speeds.

The 3G speeds are way better than what I was getting with my Marquee on Boost. I don't know if it was the phone, the network, or what, but there is definitely a huge difference. I thought they ran the same Sprint network, so I don't really get it, unless they use different towers?

Other than the 3G though, it's downhill from there. (I'm stock sense/ICS, rooted.) Right away, I had people telling me that they called, when my phone never rang. I am noticing a lot of fluctuations in signal strength; from zero bars to full and back, all day. Half of the people I text don't receive my texts at all, or get them delayed. I don't receive texts, or receive them delayed. Sometime I get the radio interface error, or "cause code 64, error class 2."

When I called tech support for the 10th time, I got someone who told me about the ##CLEAR# method that is mentioned in this thread. After I did that, one friend started texting me that he started getting texts that I'd sent him 8 hours ago.

I haven't received any errors yet, but my signal keeps going down to zero bars, and my texts are very much delayed. I texted myself and didn't receive it until 15 minutes later.

So, does this mostly point to a VM network error, a software/firmware error (from the HTC end?), or something wrong with the radio? Is this likely going to be fixed? Or would people recommend that I jump ship now, while I can. Texting is one of the most used features on a phone for me, so delayed texts drive me insane.

I am wondering if I should stay with this, or go back to Boost and stick with my horrible Marquee for a bit longer. I just read that they will be getting the Galaxy S II, which sounds great. What do people think?

Upvote 0
May I highly recommend buying an unlocked Galaxy Nexus on the Play Store and then activating it on T-Mobile's prepaid plan. That's the way to go right now, and if this isn't sorted out by August, I too will be in that boat.

As far as I can tell, it's a software problem so far. Likelihood of addressing it? I give it one month. If that doesn't work, I'm done with VM forever.

Upvote 0
I actually looked into that. I have to double check the exact numbers, but they gave a ridiculously tiny amount of data before they started throttling, so it wasn't worth it at all. I looked into straight talk as well, and I think I didn't end up with them because they had something buried in the fine print about throttling data after a small amount too, and I've heard of people having their service cut off.

Upvote 0
Honestly I think 2 gigs of 4G data a month is way more than enough, and paying $60 for a high-end, Jelly Bean-loaded smartphone's service is well worth the money. For the $30 plan, you get only 100 minutes, but 5 gigs of 4G. Everything else is unlimited after that on their 3G network (which is MILES ahead of Sprint's, say 3 mbps being a normal speed). Deal of the century.

Upvote 0
I googled "radio interface resource shortage" and found this thread.

I just switched (back) to VM yesterday, and have had problems right away, with texting, largely, but also with receiving phone calls.

Before I go into tl;dr: is this phone/service worth keeping? I have 2 days left to return this phone (I bought it earlier to try out before I switched my service over), and found a supervisor who was willing to refund my months payment if I don't use any more minutes. So I don't have a lot of time to decide if I should stick with this, or give up.

I have been trying Boost for a few months. I have had zero issues with their texting. I get texts right away, no error messages, no delays. Perfect. But the 3G speeds I got from them were seriously pathetic, and I hated my phone (LG Marquee.) So I switched to VM for the Evo V and better speeds.

The 3G speeds are way better than what I was getting with my Marquee on Boost. I don't know if it was the phone, the network, or what, but there is definitely a huge difference. I thought they ran the same Sprint network, so I don't really get it, unless they use different towers?

Other than the 3G though, it's downhill from there. (I'm stock sense/ICS, rooted.) Right away, I had people telling me that they called, when my phone never rang. I am noticing a lot of fluctuations in signal strength; from zero bars to full and back, all day. Half of the people I text don't receive my texts at all, or get them delayed. I don't receive texts, or receive them delayed. Sometime I get the radio interface error, or "cause code 64, error class 2."

When I called tech support for the 10th time, I got someone who told me about the ##CLEAR# method that is mentioned in this thread. After I did that, one friend started texting me that he started getting texts that I'd sent him 8 hours ago.

I haven't received any errors yet, but my signal keeps going down to zero bars, and my texts are very much delayed. I texted myself and didn't receive it until 15 minutes later.

So, does this mostly point to a VM network error, a software/firmware error (from the HTC end?), or something wrong with the radio? Is this likely going to be fixed? Or would people recommend that I jump ship now, while I can. Texting is one of the most used features on a phone for me, so delayed texts drive me insane.

I am wondering if I should stay with this, or go back to Boost and stick with my horrible Marquee for a bit longer. I just read that they will be getting the Galaxy S II, which sounds great. What do people think?

If you have so much issues with the phone I would just return the damn thing. I usually have an issue once a day on average so it's tolerable. I also use google voice which notifies me of text, voicemail, etc via email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones