• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Radio Issues Anyone?

I've been off the charger for 22 minutes and the percentage is at 45. If you go to settings> about phone> status, it'll show awake time. This counter should stop when you turn the screen off. I don't have a lot going on at work. Maybe I'll do the factory reset today. I'll report results when I do.

So if the up time is the same as the time displayed in the battery manager then that means the phone isn't sleeping?

Upvote 0
I just checked 4G coverage for my area and apparently it looks like it's been extended. :eek: Possibly why my 3G was down yesterday? IDK. According to their coverage map my work (pin on map) sits just right outside the zone. FML. :mad:

vzw.jpg

The yellow dot is approx where my apartment is so I'll check for 4G when I go home. If so i'll be giddy :D

Upvote 0
And mine is down!!

Been on all day and just poof its gone. They have to be messing with something for it just go away. AP Mode wont get it back. Restart is a no go. Change the Network Mode does nothing..

And as far as i know there are no plans to convert to 4g until the first of next year...

I miss my 4G. :(

At least, I've figured out how my battery life would be without 4G....it's super duper awesome. 10 hrs and I'm still at 70% with moderate use. But now I also found out that 4G is a big deal and I can't stand 3G...lol.

Upvote 0
I wish I could get the life of your phone. Mine is 12+ hours on extended battery on 3G. I'm gonna have to assume it's because I work where the signal is very poor and sucking my battery life trying to maintain a lock? I did notice when I got home with ~40% battery that with wifi on it was down to ~30% within a few hours. It was also idle while I was on the computer.

Upvote 0
Both. The store wouldn't do anything about it. They said it was normal. I bitched out VZW Support and they told me go into any store to get a new one lol.

What a pain in the ass.

I've downloaded juice defender which seems to have helped, but I still think there is something wrong. I'm going to return this phone to vzw and just go to bb and have them price match radio shack. $100 off!

Upvote 0
I believe I'm having radio issues as well.
I'll be surfing the net, and them all of a sudden the internet hangs.
Ill turn off wifi (or turn it on) and the problem still persists.
Even if I close all windows, the internet still won't work.
If I go to refresh the page, the icon isn't there as the stop one is (like its trying to load the page).
Turning on airplane mode doesn't help, but clearing caches and cookies sometimes seems to work.
This happens almost daily.

Upvote 0
Ok so i lied to you guys and called VZW... I called about my battery lasting a whole 4-6 hours.. While i was on the phone with them i told them about me losing data. Long story short they sent me a new phone. Day one with new phone was 10+ hrs and as far as i can tell i did not loose my data at all! Day 2 got me around 8 hrs of battery and if 0% without a signal. So not only was i having radio signal issues i believe that it was draining an extra 1-2 hours off my battery.

When i called in i told the lady look this is not my first Android phone, i had an OG Droid since the day it came out. ( i did not tell her about all the bad things i did to it) I just explained that i know about android phones and i understand that if i use it a lot that the battery will suffer. I asked her what the battery life should be? She came back and said that it was 10 hrs and 3days on stand by? I busted out laughing and told her that if i let my phone sit overnight it would be at 70% when i woke up.

My 2 cents..

Upvote 0
I exchanged mine yesterday. I would take it off the charger at 6:00 am and by lunch I was plugging it in at <50% charge. I got the extended battery and could actually make it home before having to refuel. I tried everything I could think of and some stuff I read on here and other places. Long and short of it was, if anything associated with the radio was "ON" the battery drained at warp speed. It didn't matter how much or how little I used it, the drainage was the same. I finally convinced VZW to replace it and Yesterday it came off the charger at 6 am and I put it back on at 11 pm with between 40 and 50% charge left. My usage yesterday was very heavy for me.

Bad Radio? ... Indeed!!

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
i had no 3G all day. 4G worked fine and wifi worked fine. 1X would work on and off. took it to verizon. CSR swapped sim card and everything was fixed. i had no idea the 4G sim could effect 3G. hopefully this will help someone.

You actually get 1X? I've never seen 1X display on my phone and I have been losing connectivity. Do you think it might be a bad sim card?

Upvote 0
I think I have radio issues, but I don't think it's affecting my battery life.

I live on the cusp of 4G, seriously. I get 3G at home and 4G at work just 6 miles away. I was told the "line" is literally right behind my house.

I notice sometimes at work (4G area) it will still show 3G. Normally this doesn't bother me because I'm not downloading stuff while at work. And sometimes when I come home it will show 4G in the bar. I get all excited thinking 4G is finally here! I've already had issues with calls and texts not coming in and requiring a reboot. I cycle the phone off/on every couple of days just for good measure.

With my extended battery coming off the charger at 6am and back on at about 9:30pm I will have 70% left with average use during the day, full sync enabled, battery nighttime saver mode.

I don't think I need a replacement, do I? Will the November update fix this radio issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones