• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Radioactive FroYo ROM v1.8.4 **9.2 MFLOP** **Moment-Acclaim Hybrid**

1.8.10 is too unstable for everyday use, I've gone back to 1.8.7. I'm not even sure if noobnl has a fully functional Moment anymore, so that could be a big part of the problem.

How are you so sure of that after such a short period of use? I don't seem to be having any major issues however performance isn't what I expected but this is my first root.

Upvote 0
How are you so sure of that after such a short period of use? I don't seem to be having any major issues however performance isn't what I expected but this is my first root.

How am I sure? The spontaneous reboots that apparently everyone using 1.8.10 but you are experiencing. Even noobnl now notes that 1.8.10 rc1 is unstable and includes a link for 1.8.7.

Radioactive FroYo ROM v1.8.10 RC 1 **9.2 MFLOP** **Moment-Acclaim Hybrid**

A couple of reboots are not unheard of with JIT, but this rom is rebooting like the beta JIT based roms that were around in the dd03 days. I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been an update yet, but considering that noobnl's not using a Moment anymore it may be understandable.

Upvote 0
Aside from the one initial reboot, 1.8.10 has been perfectly stable for me. No battery issues (left it off the charger overnight...still had ~40% charge after 15 hours, including 45 minutes or so of Pandora).

So far I'm happy with 1.8.10.

**Edit** I spoke too soon. There's a random reboot. That's what I get, I suppose.

**Edit2** And there's the runaway process. Seems to happen the most after a random reboot. Awesome.

Upvote 0
so i am a little confused, a few post have referred to this rom as a root, is loading this rom the same thing as rooting? i thought it was just loading a rom.

Without going into too much detail, root means you have the most base access to the OS, allowing you to alter any file. You must have root access to flash an alternate rom. Rooting the device used to be a separate activity and usually had to be applied after every flash. Virtually all the roms out now include root access and usually an alternate recovery, making the whole phone hacking process easier.

Upvote 0
Whatever happened to the Dearmas guy? I know he got into a tiff with SDX developers, but then found a website where he was publishing his ROMS. Now I see that's disappeared too.

He came back briefly to SDX but brought his inimitable belligerent Dearmas style along, so it didn't go particularly well. His site is still up and apparently flourishing. He's been AWOL for a couple of weeks and people there are champing at the bit for Interceptor v7. There were even rumors of his death, but it was posted that he's dealing with some personal issues and will be back.

Android Mobile Support •

Upvote 0
Sadly, I've read some reports that the Epic has a GPS radio that isn't terribly sensitive, much like the Moment. I'm hoping that this turns out not to be true. Going to wait a bit after the Epic comes out to decide if I upgrade. This ROM makes the phone run well enough that I think I can wait until some 3.0 devices start coming out around the holidays.

-SF

Upvote 0
Sadly, I've read some reports that the Epic has a GPS radio that isn't terribly sensitive, much like the Moment. I'm hoping that this turns out not to be true. Going to wait a bit after the Epic comes out to decide if I upgrade. This ROM makes the phone run well enough that I think I can wait until some 3.0 devices start coming out around the holidays.

-SF

I've been following this issue closely and it will determine my choice between an Evo or Epic. If you want to stay up to date, check out the captivate forum on this site - there are several gps threads. Hopefully samsung will release a fix. The Epic is an otherwise awesome phone.

Upvote 0

-SF

It sounds like Samsung is using the same gps setup they used in the Moment and why not? They insisted nothing is wrong with the Moment's gps receiver (actually, I read their silence on the issue to be insisting). I expect a half hearted software update that partially fixes the issue (cl14 anyone?) to cut off any bad press that may hurt sales. Following that.....nothing....ever. From what I'm seeing, the Galaxy S is the same superb navagation device as the Moment which is to say lousy. And the Galaxy S buyers will learn the lesson everyone who buys a Samsung device learns, that Samsung releases a device, provides a bare minimum of support till the replacement for that device is ready for launch and promply forgets said device ever existed. Unfortunately, too many of us get smitten by the new devices specs and hardware, develop amnesia and repeat the whole process again. I look at the Epics specs and I want it, but I know deep down that if I buy it I will be deeply disappointed by Samsung again. As it stands now, every Samsung gps equiped Android smartphone should come with a complimentary Garmin PNA.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it's the different Moment I just got or the 1.8.7 version of this Rom, but my battery life is great now. My phone is going on 23 hours with no charge. Admiditly I only used my phone between lightly - medium yesterday, but for the most part that's all I do. I've never been able to last more than about 15 hours at the max before having to charge my phone because it was in the red or yellow before I went to bed. It's still in the green right now. I'm gonna see how it goes with a full day of work today since I only worked half yesterday, but I don't get good reception at work so I know that drains my battery and usually by lunch I plug it in because it's in the yellow. But even on days I don't work I still only get about 15 hours.

Upvote 0
I knew I shouldn't have posted anything. Two random reboots in the last hour. Admittedly, I was trying the things that cause it the most problem for me: Pandora and Tricroder. Pandora worked great for and hour or so, closed it, came back to it after a little while and it rebooted. Tricorder keeps getting the flashing screen and a java error, but mostly in ACO sensor mode. That mode had issues before this ROM was installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones