• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Radioshack Price Confirmed (Pre-Order page up 6/5/11)

I hope I'm wrong but I am leaning towards it being fake. Nobody else has reported getting it in their inbox. I know I didn't get it in my inbox even though I preordered and bought my OG Evo at Radio Shack and get their spam emails all the time. And not only that, but the radioshack.com/evo3d website listed in the "ad" isn't even live. Why would they send out a mass email (that somehow nobody else got) which listed a website that wasn't even live?

Reactions: CanDMan
Upvote 0
I hope I'm wrong but I am leaning towards it being fake. Nobody else has reported getting it in their inbox. I know I didn't get it in my inbox even though I preordered and bought my OG Evo at Radio Shack and get their spam emails all the time. And not only that, but the radioshack.com/evo3d website listed in the "ad" isn't even live. Why would they send out a mass email (that somehow nobody else got) which listed a website that wasn't even live?

No idea on the legitimacy of it. However, it does look like a print ad that was scanned in rather than something that would be emailed. Who knows though. I'm not going to be getting it from Radio Shack anyways.

Upvote 0

I'm pretty sure the writer was referring to someone they know sending them an email(maybe a friend who works at the shack). If could be a poster Radioshack will start using or something like that and was just scanned and attached to an email. If it were an email from RadioShack all of us definitely would have known about it by now.

Upvote 0
used my full upgrade when i purchased the evo. can i still get the phone at 199.99 if i only have a $75 upgrade? if not how much would i have to pay?

You would get $75 off the $499 (assuming this isn't fake). You may also get the discount for the rebate, but I'm not sure what you need to do to qualify for that. The cheapest you could get this would be $275, but more likely around $425. Again, this is all assuming the provided info is legit.

At that point, you have to wonder if recommitting yourself to a contract is worth the $75. You may be better off buying it out of contract. Then you'll have your full upgrade when the next awesome phone comes out :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Some more evidence that this could be real: If you trying going to radioshack.com/somethingrandom it will always direct you to the home page no matter what you type after the /. Now if you try radioshack.com/evo3d it will redirect to RadioShack.com

So this leads me to believe that the page is at least reserved currently.
That is a good find. But...

Radio Shack has a web address like that for every phone. For example, radioshack.com/evo takes you to the Evo 4G page.

So since we know the Evo 3D is a real phone, and Radio Shack will be selling it someday (in fact they are already selling preorders for it) then it is no surprise that radioshack.com/evo3d would be reserved for the Evo 3D.

What is surprising though, is they would be sending out emails advertising that page (supposedly) if the page isn't even live.

Hopefully the source on that can clear up exactly where that ad came from (spam email from Radio Shack, some internal Radio Shack email, some friend who works at Radio Shack, etc.)

I'm holding out hope that it proves to be true and the release date is imminent, but that isn't looking likely to me at this point. I'm starting to think it was all a sham.

Reactions: CanDMan
Upvote 0
That is a good find. But...

Radio Shack has a web address like that for every phone. For example, radioshack.com/evo takes you to the Evo 4G page.

So since we know the Evo 3D is a real phone, and Radio Shack will be selling it someday (in fact they are already selling preorders for it) then it is no surprise that radioshack.com/evo3d would be reserved for the Evo 3D.

What is surprising though, is they would be sending out emails advertising that page (supposedly) if the page isn't even live.

Hopefully the source on that can clear up exactly where that ad came from (spam email from Radio Shack, some internal Radio Shack email, some friend who works at Radio Shack, etc.)

I'm holding out hope that it proves to be true and the release date is imminent, but that isn't looking likely to me at this point. I'm starting to think it was all a sham.
That would be a pretty intricate scam just to fool people on the price of a phone. This is obviously a leaked ad.

Upvote 0
Oohh... oohh... Right... NOT $100 FOR an EVO 3D, silly me... Trade in my evo for $100 off a 3D? Ha yeah... FAIL.

How is that a FAIL? Thats just how life is. Anyone that trades in anything will ALWAYS get less than if they took the time to simply sell it themselves. A lot of people value time and convenience over trying to save a few dollars.

Upvote 0
Sprint’s HTC Evo 3D priced: $199 on contract, $499 without Unwired View

HTC-Evo-3D-Sprint-price-199.jpg

Upvote 0
looking up the catalog number from the ad on radio shack doesn't bring up a phone ...says not found. Go one number up and you find nothing as well. Go one or two down and you find zagg screen protectors. Does the progression of theses part numbers then make sense for a phone? Does anyone know how the catalog numbers work for phones? in particular for any possible progression of numbers. Ie, are sprint phones listed under a progression or part numbers? or is it by manufacturer ...like HTC ...etc. I couldn't find a part number for an HTC phone to start off ...so if anyone else can check it out ...that would be great ...i'll keep searching and update if I get the info first. :)

Upvote 0
RS said they would give you $180, or did they mean selling it elsewhere?

They said they would give me 180 if it was in perfect condition. I think RS is just saying 100 because they expect that most users phones will be in moderate shape. The one manager knows I'm a huge phone nerd and mine is in like a B grade since it has two small chips in the paint...but I would expect only like 125 - 150 for mine...but I have no idea how they grade the phones.

Upvote 0
looking up the catalog number from the ad on radio shack doesn't bring up a phone ...says not found. Go one number up and you find nothing as well. Go one or two down and you find zagg screen protectors. Does the progression of theses part numbers then make sense for a phone? Does anyone know how the catalog numbers work for phones? in particular for any possible progression of numbers. Ie, are sprint phones listed under a progression or part numbers? or is it by manufacturer ...like HTC ...etc. I couldn't find a part number for an HTC phone to start off ...so if anyone else can check it out ...that would be great ...i'll keep searching and update if I get the info first. :)
17 is cellphones/accessories 6384 is number added to catalog. For example, the echo was 17-6324.

So the number does make sense.

Upvote 0
I can't find a catalog number that will bring up a phone on radio shacks website. The closest I got was a string of iTouch devices. If the catalog number wouldn't take you to the phone would they advertise it?

--Edit--

I did find some scans from circulars with catalog numbers beneath the phone ...not sure how old those listings are but they don't work to bring up those phones on the site. I did find that it works for a particular go phone that was listed. It might be that it doesn't work for contract phones. I have not yet located either an HTC phone with a working catalog number or a listing for sprint phones that has working catalog numbers.

Upvote 0
That would be a pretty intricate scam just to fool people on the price of a phone. This is obviously a leaked ad.
While it may seem stupid to you and me, people have spent a lot more time on even dumber things. Think about all the time spent on creating stupid computer viruses.

agreed... i'm not sure why people would jump to call it fake. Just party crashers i guess.
Not a party crasher. Just pointing out the high chance it's a a fake. And there are some legitimate reasons to be skeptical:
1: Nobody else has received this "ad" or confirmed it as even being real.
2: inyofacerecords.com listed on the "ad" is a link farm. Why is it even listed on the "ad" at all?
3: The website radioshack.com/evo3d isn't even live.

Now there could be legitimate answers to all of those questions. I am not saying it's for sure a fake. I'm only saying there is at least a decent to pretty good chance it's a fake. And the more time passes without anyone being able to confirm any of it, the more likely it is a fake.

Honestly when I saw that I expected to see 100 confirmations within a few hours. Here it is the next day and we haven't had 1 single confirmation yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones