1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rain mode??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by James Jones H, Jan 20, 2021.

1. James Jones H

James Jones H Lurker

I need a screen that works in the rain. I don't mean that it's waterproof. I mean that the raindrops don't make it go haywire and I can still use it even if there are drops dripping down the screen. Any ideas??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I would wrap it in Saran wrap or put it into a zip lock bag.
    I wouldn't trust anything else and lose a good device

ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Use an umbrella? That's what I do when it rains, and phone still works fine.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

OMG you guys are hilarious:D:D:D

@James Jones H are you looking for a new device? not sure what you mean by "need a screen". are you trying to replace a screen off of your current phone?

most screens are just that. it is how the screen is installed on the device that makes it water resistant or waterproof.

can you give us some background as to what you are looking for?

#4 ocnbrze, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Dannydet likes this.
  5. Milo Williamson

Milo Williamson Well-Known Member

Wrap your hands in Saran Wrap, also your shoes with ziplock bags, run into the forest, scream! :)

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The resistive touchscreens that were used in the 1990s and early 2000s would suit you, since they would be insensitive to raindrops. Of course they were also less sensitive to fingers, and couldn't handle multi-touch gestures, which is why no phone uses them these days.

With capacitative touchscreens you are out of luck. They respond to contact with conductors, and larger raindrops are hard for them to distinguish from being touched by a small bag of salty water (aka a human fingertip). Some may be better than others in this regard, though it's not something that the manufacturers publicise if so, but none will be immune.

Basically keep the screen covered when not in use, try to shield from rain when using, wipe dry when you have problems. You could experiment with whether keeping it in a bag would help (so water is not directly in contact with the screen). That's all I can suggest.

mikedt and Dannydet like this.