• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Raleigh Request

I will hopefully be getting my Samsung Epic Monday the 22nd and was wondering if anyone in the Raleigh/Durham area would mind meeting with me at some point to show me a few things about it and work with me on it to root it and set it up. I can buy you a cup of coffee or a beer or heck both. I am giving up on my HTC touch pro 2 ( which I loved until recently the past 3 months I don't know what happened but it sucks big time ). Needless to say I am a total newb to the Android so any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks:D

Pic Please!!!!....:)

Seriously, read up a bit and give it a go. I don't have the Epic but I had my hands on one for couple of minutes and had it rooted with a stock Froyo ROM on it in less than an hour. The one click method y'all have for this phone is a thing of beauty. Anyway, there are some basics that need to be learned but other than that, it is not that big of a deal. Good luck and don't be afraid to read around on other makes forums. I come from the EVO and the basics are all the same. We have a thread over there called "Rooting for Dummies" that will explain a lot. Obviously it is phone specific but there are lot of basics that would carry over to the Epic. My only advice is not to use ROM manager. I have heard it has problems on the Epic and to be honest with you, it ain't all that great on the EVO. I initially used it but don't anymnore...it is not needed on the Epic because the one click method y'all have to root installs the recovery as well...whcih again, is awesome. Don't be skeered. Give it a go.

Reactions: Rebulldog
Upvote 0
Pic Please!!!!....:)

Seriously, read up a bit and give it a go. I don't have the Epic but I had my hands on one for couple of minutes and had it rooted with a stock Froyo ROM on it in less than an hour. The one click method y'all have for this phone is a thing of beauty. Anyway, there are some basics that need to be learned but other than that, it is not that big of a deal. Good luck and don't be afraid to read around on other makes forums. I come from the EVO and the basics are all the same. We have a thread over there called "Rooting for Dummies" that will explain a lot. Obviously it is phone specific but there are lot of basics that would carry over to the Epic. My only advice is not to use ROM manager. I have heard it has problems on the Epic and to be honest with you, it ain't all that great on the EVO. I initially used it but don't anymnore...it is not needed on the Epic because the one click method y'all have to root installs the recovery as well...whcih again, is awesome. Don't be skeered. Give it a go.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have read through and though I am a bit of a geek the unfamiliar terms "skeer" the hell outta me. The droid speak is like any other geek speak and must be learned to be appreciated and I admit ignorance in that. I guess the simplicity of the one click, had me confused in that it is so simple I assumed ( don't worry just made an ass of me not you ) I must be missing something. I will give it all a shot, phone won't be here until Monday :( at the earliest. Thanks alot bud.

Upvote 0
And also don't freak out if it doesn't quite go through the first time. I did it and got some message like "device not recognized". And then I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Then it recognized it and started running and got half way through and failed again. Then I unplugged it and closed everything and then opened everything back up plugged it in again and ran it again. I think it took me 3 times. I guess all I am saying is don't freak out if it doesn't go perfectly the first time. I have rooted only 3 phones in my life(2 EVOs and an Epic) and none of them went on the first try. Just keep trying and don't freak out. Once you get to the point where they are asking for donations, you know you have made it...:)...good luck and keep us posted!!!

Reactions: Rebulldog
Upvote 0
And also don't freak out if it doesn't quite go through the first time. I did it and got some message like "device not recognized". And then I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Then it recognized it and started running and got half way through and failed again. Then I unplugged it and closed everything and then opened everything back up plugged it in again and ran it again. I think it took me 3 times. I guess all I am saying is don't freak out if it doesn't go perfectly the first time. I have rooted only 3 phones in my life(2 EVOs and an Epic) and none of them went on the first try. Just keep trying and don't freak out. Once you get to the point where they are asking for donations, you know you have made it...:)...good luck and keep us posted!!!

Yeah, I did most of my WinMo phones so I am only a virgin as far as android goes. Just so stoked about this phone because my TP2 was great but either the HTC sense or something else has caused it to be almost unusable. I read but honestly I learn more by being hands on with something. I am sure it will cause more than one "rectal tightening" moment but should go well. I will keep you updated and thanks, I really do appreciate it.

Reactions: flyjbaker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones