• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ram, and other question.

dbtp2002

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
Hi, i just want to ask few questions about ram status (***MB/784MB), and others.
i noticed that even i didn't have any app on, the ram status didn't go down, intead it goes up. right now it got up to 496MB/784MB.
so I used clear memory. it went down a little, but it's back up to 496MB/784MB. And some apps were running automaticly so i had to turn them off by the task manager's exit button.

the question is that

is it normal for the ram status to be 496MB/784MB?
and is it okay to use the clear memory button if the number is getting too big?
lastly should i exit all the apps that runs automaticly?(sometimes music app turns on automaticly)

P.S Sorry for the bad english....

Yeah, that's pretty normal with the stock ROM. Remember the phone is running services so has to use some ram ans allocate ram to processes that are running, like the OS etc.

The new Google music app (headphones one) seems to always launch when you boot the phone, I think it does this as the data is checked on the system.

Don't' worry about using the clear ram, I believe that just shuts down apps it won't do any harm that I'm aware of. I'm sure they wouldn't have left it there in stock form if it could cause any problems.

Reactions: dbtp2002
Upvote 0
O..Ok, I thought it's going to harm my device if i use clear ram button too many times..

anyway.. Thank you for the help :)

And i have another question..
Whats the latest android version for Galaxy S2?
My phone's current version is 2.3.6.

and other question is that
is updating to latest firmware in Kies and software update function (or button) in the phone the same?

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
You're quite welcome.

Yes, you have the latest Android update installed. The updates are pushed by the carrier (T-Mo) Over the network, unless you root your phone and flash ROMs instead. The update software button will update installed software, but not the Android OS, that will always be when the carrier pushes it, which can take well over a month for all users on the network to receive once a roll-out starts.

Upvote 0
This is interesting to me. To compare I looked at Applications - Manage Applications - Running and it shows that there is 211MB used and 471MB free (Telus version = less bloatware). What I find curious is how 211+471 is supposed to = 784 ?!

EDIT: Never mind, I must be tired... Task Manager, RAM and had 449MB used out of 784MB with E-Mail, Widget Locker and Juice Defender open. Cleared RAM and it dropped to 334, climbing slowly back up and at 360 after 5 seconds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones