1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

RAM quest.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DsyMnapTic, May 24, 2011.

1. DsyMnapTic

DsyMnapTic Android Expert

Is this phones RAM created as virtual memory or is it a specific amount?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Extreme Android User

specific :rolleyes:

3. DsyMnapTic

I know stupid question, but I'm trying to figure something out. thanks

4. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

Its set, but you can partition your sdcard so it has a swap partition which is similar to virtual memory on winbloze.

DsyMnapTic likes this.
  5. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Very good point, as it has only been recently as far as I know that you can get the Swap working. PLEASE CORRECT IF WRONG: BUT I don't think that the stock ROM supported nor used any swap. But with the CM7 ROM, it's no problem.

Again-I am not sure about that.

What is mentioned above is all correct it is set. But keep in mind that the Linux programming (Android), is in complete control of releasing apps, etc from memory if more is needed. This is why Task/app killers are really NOT a good thing.

That is a sensitive topic, some thing they are good. I don't.

If you have one, try instead an app called "Watchdog" instead of just randomly dumping an app if it's in Memory. Watchdog instead watches your CPU. If an app runs amuk with your cpu it will dump it.

A poorly coded app, even something really simple, like a suduku game or something, poorly coded can take your cpu for a wild ride. Watchdog looks for this and instead of a random dump it removes apps that are using the cpu without necessity. VERY GOOD APP.

If your using CM7 and the overclocking, make sure to make necessary adjustments for the new values, as it may think some app took the cpu out of control, VERY CUSTOMIZABLE this app.

I had a very small simple game, little word game, but I noticed my phone would get hot as hell when used. Watchdog went crazy, turns out, very poorly coded, and it was using cpu power equivelent of running some super app, so :

Wouldn't you rather dump that from memory than say some little thing doing nothing just because it's there.

Bottom line, LET ANDROID control the memory, it's programmed to. If you like use watchdog, keep any eye on the cpu usage.

OK...Sorry for the long detail...

My trademark, I can't stop typing, I like to give ALL the detail and write LONG msgs....my friends HATE IT...LOL....guaranteed they are skimming each one...

HAVE A GREAT DAY...Jeff

DsyMnapTic likes this.
  6. PlayfulGod

VERY NICE explaination as why ATK n similar apps are not needed. Yea I dunno if swap worked on 2.1 either, but I know it does in CM7.

DsyMnapTic likes this.
  7. DsyMnapTic

alright dudes...thanks much for the info.
    And you're cool with me Jeff on your awesomely descriptive explanations...
    A couple more things from me...
    @PG or anyone actually....so do you recommend that I use swap since I now have the option to do so on cm7?
    If I'm correct darktremors a2sd is not device specific...right? so all the script is the same and I can just download the beta 04 version from where ever? also is this the best and most up to date version to use?

8. PlayfulGod

If you have a big enough sdcard most def. I'll leave the DT a2sd stuff to spyder lol

9. DsyMnapTic

Friggin' ingenious guys....way cool everything is working awesomely, though I think I'm going to wait to mess with the dalvick...cuz that just scared the crap out of me..lmao

10. DsyMnapTic

Okay...now comes the questions.
    1: Is this process(a2sd) configured to do everything its supposed to automatically or is the only way to interact with it, through terminal codes? Or is there really no settings to configure?

2: Wont my phone screw up if I ever unmount the SD, being that all system apps are now on it? or would it be fine to remove it when the phone is off and then put it back in and power on without Any issues?

All help much appreciated