1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

RAM Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by heptagram, Oct 27, 2014.

1. heptagram

heptagram Newbie

Greetings!

I would like to know whether it is possible to upgrade the RAM of a GT-I9300 device, and where...

Thank you for your responses!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Far as I'm aware the asnswer is nope!

heptagram likes this.
  3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Yeah, unless you're really good with a soldering iron and adept with reading schematics adding physical RAM to your S3 isn't a viable option. About the best you can do to kinda/sorta 'add' RAM is to root your phone. That will allow you to add a different, more efficient ROM than the stock Android ROM or at the very least allow you to disable or remove a lot of the often unnecessary Samsung cruft. While your phone will still have the same amount of RAM as always you'll notice better overall responsiveness and an increase in battery life.

4. heptagram

heptagram Newbie

Could you, please, recommend a ROM?

Sincerely,
    heptagram.

5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

marcus33, funkylogik and heptagram like this.
  6. heptagram

heptagram Newbie

Yes, it's the international version. I am getting the sense that the US version is much better with the 2GB RAM! It's suffocating to have such a powerful device with 1GB only...:thinking: Real bottleneck!

I will have to like it as it is.

7. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Tbh there isnt much of a performance difference between the US and international s3 (the US ones are only dual core).
    Im a heavy user and have never felt the need for more ram (although more is always better).
    Where (in what situations) do you feel that youre lacking in ram mate?

heptagram likes this.
  8. heptagram

heptagram Newbie

Most of the times it works slow, for example when pressing the home button, etc.

I shudder at the thought that the device uses about 700MB RAM out of 831MB (~84% usage), which is not even the 1GB that it is marketed with.

Anyway, I like it as it is.

9. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

If you're running stock then Touchwiz is a likely resource hog there bud. After rooting mine and running Slimkat it was like having a new phone (plus I much prefer a more vanilla android)

funkylogik likes this.
  10. Hi, though am new here too, but have been following other such forums for a long time. I would suggest you to google this, "Dirty Unicorns Rom v8.1".
    You might not understand, i guess, for am taking you to be newbie here, but trust me you'll definitely find it helpful.
    Also if you can manage to get your device rooted, there are many tutorials which will help you gain some ram, one of which is by "Partitioning the SD-card and adding it to the RAM.
    Google helps all, coz it isn't any rationalist :D

11. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Theres a common saying in android mate "unused ram is wasted ram"... having your ram 95% used shouldnt slow anything down.. it should actually speed up opening commonly used and cached apps.
    Lag in the home button could be caused by u using the stock (touchwiz) launcher (homescreen ui) which is very laggy (try a launcher app like Nova instead) or if you have the home button set to double-tap for s-voice, then its waiting for that second tap before it returns to home.
    As the others have said though, researching and putting on a custom aosp kitkat rom wil REALLY speed up the phone mate. All that samsung shit bogs the phone down :thumbup:

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews