1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support RAM usage numbers don't add up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Manthas, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Manthas

Manthas Lurker
    None

Sep 2, 2011
    I've tried doing some searches, but to be honest the search function for Phandroid leaves quite a bit to be desired. I'm running a Moto Droid, currently rooted with CM 7.0.2 on it, and when I look at the running applications settings page, the results there are a tad confusing to me because things do not add up at all.

Disregarding the fact that I thought the phone had 256 MB of RAM, and while the numbers fluctuate (obviously), here's a typical snapshot of what I see:

Report: 125 MB used, 35 MB free

However if I add up the usage from the running applications listed on this page, it only adds up to 71.4 MB; I'd say a 50 MB gap on a phone with resources as limited as the Droid are is pretty significant. My wife and I do plan on upgrading our phones in the not too distant future, but our contracts aren't actually up until January or February.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here? In addition to the total RAM coming in roughly 100 MB short of what is supposed to be available, where is that other 50 MB going? Why does it seem like we're getting less than half of our available RAM actually usable?

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Not a gap, per se. Internal storage used by the OS is not always explicitly reported. In addition, things like Dialer Storage, which caches your SMS, MMS, can call logs, won't report the cache in an obvious manner, but the memory is still being used. Same with your browser cache, all app caches, in fact.