1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Ram

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Speed Junkie, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Speed Junkie

Speed Junkie Newbie
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    Hi, I've been looking at reviews for the Sensation, and comparison videos with the SGS2, and there is one aspect of the phone that was quite disappointing: RAM. Due to the new Sense UI, the amount of RAM available was seldom higher than 180mb. Does this impact the phone in a noticeable way in real life usage? As in, for those who have this phone, have you noticed lag or limitations?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Probably, if you open an application that needs allot of memory the OS will have to start closing background tasks to free up memory, so lag might be a consequence of this.

The interface on the Sensation seems to lag a little on videos on youtube, at least we know why now.

3. stanry

stanry Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    HTC truly suffer lack of memory. I wonder why HTC not making their phone perfect by having more built in ram?

It is a sad case for HTC Sensation of almost perfect phone of lacking of memory

4. oscar6654

oscar6654 Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    notice that in the box it says 768mb ram? and on the phone if you go task manager, it says available ram is only 508mb? and 400mb is always used? why is that?

5. cool_jason4

cool_jason4 Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    About 210mb is reserved for the GPU leaving the phone with 558mb. However HTC's UI is soo RAM heavy that it only leaves you with about 120 - 150mb to play with.
    However I did a quick test to see how the phone copes with a lot of running apps and it seemed that even with about 10 apps running totalling 206mb RAM (angry birds, robo defence, tank hero, launcher pro, endget, mail, poker, google+, maps, music) my phone still showed 110mb RAM left. I did notice a bit of lag at this point when opening the app drawer mainly.
    Once I killed all the apps I was left with well over 300mb. If I leave my phone idle for a while this number drops down to about 200mb even though there are no apps running.
    I can only assume that this is some sort of software issue of some sort.