1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Ran a battery test last night. (RESULTS)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nofronts, Sep 9, 2011.

1. nofronts

nofronts Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Ok so for the past few nights i would wake up to my phone being 100% dead to the point that my alarm would not even go off. So i charged up my phone to 100% last night to see where it would be at this morning. I was shocked to see that the battery life this morning was at 42%! How did the battery drain almost 60% with it no being used at all? Any ideas because i hate to think that if i go to bed and dont have 60% battery life my alarm will not even go off. On my old blackberry the phone could dead and not even turn on and the alarm would still go off.

Advertisement

2. Chi-TownTx

Chi-TownTx Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Chances are you have everything set to "on" by default (wifi, max screen, background data etc). This can cause some juice loss as opposed to having some things turned off and others set to only turn on when an application is actually being used.

Aside from the normal searching for your apps perhaps the largest drain is a 4G phone being in a 3G area. If you live in an area where 4G isn't set up yet or not very stable this is a huge battery burner. Mainly because when the phone isn't getting a 4G signal it is using extra juice to try and find it. So if you don't live in a 4G area put the phone in 3G only mode.

3. Chi-TownTx

Chi-TownTx Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Just another little side note that not a lot of ppl touch up on are news widgets.

I myself actually leave background data on and have never had a problem. One thing i learned pretty quick is that any type of news widget on your screen (AP News, Stock Quotes, Random scrolling/updating info widget etc) drains the holy hell out of your battery. Other than a clock and a battery % icon the only thing on my home screens are app buttons. Those cool looking auto updating news widgets rape battery life.

Example being i through a Gaming Buzz and Tech Buzz news widget on my phone. Even with them both set to only auto update once every 6 hours it cut my battery life in half. Couldn't even make it through a day of work. Ditched those and life was back to normal. So imo just keep apps on your home screens and get rid of any news scrolling/auto updating widgets you may have.