1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Random apps suddenly being installed (Verizon Galaxy s6)

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Deadtaco, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Deadtaco

Deadtaco Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2016
    Male
    I have a very bizarre thing happening right now. My Verizon Galaxy S6 Edge with unrooted, stock ROM is installing software all by itself. The phone is set to not allow installation of apps from unknown sources, yet these apps are appearing all over the app drawer just in the last few minutes. It all started happening all at once, and the "ES File Explorer" app keeps telling me when a new app is installed because it does a safety scan of the file, which alerted me to it.

The apps installed includes a game called "cookie mania", a CVS pharmacy app, EBay app, some app called "Moonlighting", and games called Juice Jam and Slotomania.

Also, I keep getting an error that "Oculus has stopped responding" or somesuch. I am not using a Gear VR headset.

If I go to uninstall them from the App Store, Google warns me that the apps were not installed through the App Store and asks if I want to remove them anyway. Can a bad app on my phone being using some sort of exploit to side load apps? It's got me a little worried about how these apps are getting on to my phone.

Advertisement

mikedt likes this.
  2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    Go to Settings- Application- App Manager, Swipe over to all and look for a System App called DT Ignite and see if it's on your phone.

badcatz likes this.
  3. Deadtaco

Deadtaco Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2016
    Male
    Holy crap. I do have it on my phone, and Verizon is spamming my phone with bloatware. How is this allowed? Verizon swore up and down that they wouldn't randomly push bloatware to phones when they released that stupid tool, yet there it is. What a horrible company. I wonder if there is any recourse.

4. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    I would look at Package Disabler Pro at the Play Store.
    It is a paid app but will let you disable pre installed apps and system apps like DT Ignite without root. If you want to uninstall them you will need root access. Having them disabled would be the next best thing.

badcatz likes this.
  5. badcatz

badcatz Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Male
    It's installed on Verizon phones by default. You can disable through the application manager. My Maxx2 has it and it's the very first thing I disable. It is a POS! I disabled it and it has stayed disabled.

If you do a hard reset the first thing you should do is disable DT Ignite.

Jfalls63 likes this.