1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Random reboot? Touch keys lit up but no screen/unresponsive

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hizorse, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    If this has been posted I'm sorry but I searched and didn't find anything.

Twice today my phone has acted like it tried to reboot or something. The keys on screen were lit up but the screen was black and was not responsive to any of the keys or sliding open the pad. I ended up having to pull out the battery to get it to boot up. It is rooted and never had a problem with it til a day or two ago. About the only thing I've installed since I started having the problems was WidgetLocker. Not saying it is indeed this app doing it but that is when is started happening. Anyone else have this happen or know what is causing it?

Advertisement

2. Stoney62

Stoney62 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Your best bet would be to uninstall the offending App/Widget and if that fixes your problem, don't reinstall it.

3. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Deleted it yesterday and haven't had a problem since. Too bad it was a waste of money.

4. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Problem has reappeared, seems to happen every couple days. Anyone getting this?

5. TheTick

TheTick Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Kansas City, MO USA
    I had a similar problem while trying out some of the 'no lock' apps. There are several, and I didn't keep track of which one caused the problem. I had to take the battery out to get control of the phone.

I've uninstalled ALL of the no lock apps, and the problem has disappeared. Interestingly enough, the pattern lock screen has also disappeared.

6. spyderusa11

spyderusa11 Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    I've had this problem since day one, regardless of what ROM I'm running. It's about once per day, maybe once every day and a half. I've done a fair number of wipes, reflashed between DI18 and DK28 modems, but it's never gone away. At this point, I figure there's something wrong my hardware, but it hasn't driven me crazy enough to deal with trying to service it.

7. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    I deleted a few apps on mine a few days ago and haven't see it again since but that is what I thought last time. Going to keep watching and see what happens.

8. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    IT BA
    Chicagoland, IL
    I've had this happen a few times before as well. Completely random, no new apps or anything to speak of. I'm not rooted and bone stock. I mean, LauncherPro and WidgetLocker, but this didn't start when one of them was installed or anything like that.

Are you using an app/task killer? I know sometimes that may lead to problems as well. I used one religiously at the beginning, but haven't been messing with it too much lately.

The reboots happen to me maybe once or twice a week, but nothing seems common about when it happens.

9. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Yeah I have advanced task killer, haven't had it happen in the past week or so. Deleted some apps since and I think that has stopped it from happening, just not sure which app it was.

10. alphachef

alphachef Lurker
    None

Sep 9, 2010
    yea, it's very annoying. this happens at least twice a day. the worst part is when it occurs overnight, and i use it as an alarm clock! the only widget i use is the default music player. i thought it was my battstat widget...but let me know if you find a solution. thanks!

11. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Female
    I've had this happen two or three times now, most recently yesterday. Had to pull the battery. Between total freezes like this, and random reboots, it's starting to remind me of my Instinct!!! :(

12. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Something is going on it seems...

I witnessed my wife's epic have this problem about an hour ago and it took a battery pull to bring it out. She said it's been doing this lately but will usually finally pull itself out. She doesn't mess with any settings or install anything, but my son has been known to install a few things from time to time. I uninstalled everything she doesn't need and updated everything. We'll see how it goes.

13. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Been pretty smooth the past few weeks.

14. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    And it just happened again. Anyone figure anything out?

15. spyderusa11

spyderusa11 Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Nopes. You're lucky it's so infrequent - it happens to me about once a day, and it's getting really annoying. I've had it happen with nothing installed, I've tried a different SD card. I'm completely convinced I have a lemon... :(

16. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Starting to hate this phone, its happening more and more now. It has to be hardware, DI18, EB13, rooted or not it still does it, getting more and more frequent, nearly everyday or sometimes I get lucky and it happens every two days.

17. spyderusa11

spyderusa11 Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Yup, starting to drive me crazy. Somehow managed to die 3 times today, 2 of which forced me restore a backup. I don't think EXT4 with this problem is a very good idea...

18. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Female
    Mine has stopped doing this, but not it's suuuuper laggy. Completely stock, still on eclair. Only major change is Launcher Pro.

19. Hizorse

Hizorse Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Flashed my Epic with Syndciate ROM and did the EXT4 conversion earlier and everything is running snappy and nice and the issues I had before with the stock rom haven't popped up yet. Hope that fixed it.

20. princealyy

princealyy Newbie
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    I have this problem with my epic and it reboots like 5 times a day. This is very annoying going back to the sprint store about this.