• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random rebooting

Anybody else having lots of random reboots? Mine happens when I'm doing stuff and when it's just in my pocket. No consitantcy at all.

Yep, the phone has rebooted several times or crashed in the past two days since getting it, with no obvious reason why. Had to pull the battery at least four times. Most annoying is to discover upon reboot that the apps stored on the SD card that had icons on the desktop need to have their icons recopied to the desktop to replace the annoying Android icon placeholders. At least the apps themselves still work, but I've already had to recreate my desktop screens (which are quite full) twice. Not fun, not even a little bit. No, I have not installed any additional task killer apps.

Upvote 0
I've been having a lot of random reboots. Sometimes 3-4 an hour or more. Most of the time it just happens when the phone is asleep in my pocket or on the table. Other times while I'm using an app it will either hang or the screen will blank and the buttons will light up until it finally restarts itself or I do a battery pull.

Working last night and again today, I may have noticed one factor that's contributing to mine. When I'm at home, I've usually got the wireless on because I don't get the best signal at home and spend a lot of time on the web. At work, however, I don't have wireless access and am (supposedly) doing my job. Thus, at work I turn off the wireless. In about 10 hours at work last night/today, it hasn't rebooted once. Within a half hour of being home with the wireless turned on, it started rebooting again. Anyone else noticed the rebooting tied to wireless? Anyone have any thoughts about a fix? Or is this something that would likely warrant taking the phone in and trying to get it replaced?

Upvote 0
Most annoying is to discover upon reboot that the apps stored on the SD card that had icons on the desktop need to have their icons recopied to the desktop to replace the annoying Android icon placeholders. At least the apps themselves still work, but I've already had to recreate my desktop screens (which are quite full) twice. Not fun, not even a little bit. No, I have not installed any additional task killer apps.

same problem but only with one app, astro file manager, couple times now the icon went bad on reboots

Upvote 0
Just got my EVO 3D today. Immediately let OTA updates install, then did hard reset. Since then, it has spontaneously rebooted a few times and even locked up once, where the screen is black and the four bottom buttons are lit.

Twice, it stopped responding to hard that I had to remove the battery to get it to respond.

All this happened while it was idle or in my pocket.

I don't have anything exotic installed. In fact, had the problems before I even installed much of anything.

Besides a few apps, I do have Activesync enabled to sync with an Exchange server. Our corporate policies, as forced by ActiveSync, require power on numeric PIN, so there is no possibility of it getting powered on inadvertently.

And, wow, it just happened again, simply while laying on my chest while I was typing this! Powered off completely. Unresponsive to any button presses. Had to remove battery again.

Upvote 0
Since then, it has spontaneously rebooted a few times and even locked up once, where the screen is black and the four bottom buttons are lit.

Twice, it stopped responding to hard that I had to remove the battery to get it to respond.

This is the EXACT problem my phone is having. The four bottom buttons light up, but the screen is black. Only solution seems to be a battery pull, which I've done several times since getting the phone on Friday.

Yes, it's loaded with apps, but it's interesting that you're having the reboots even after a hard reset.

Upvote 0
Just got my EVO 3D today. Immediately let OTA updates install, then did hard reset. Since then, it has spontaneously rebooted a few times and even locked up once, where the screen is black and the four bottom buttons are lit.

All this happened while it was idle or in my pocket.

I don't have anything exotic installed. In fact, had the problems before I even installed much of anything.

Besides a few apps, I do have Activesync enabled to sync with an Exchange server. Our corporate policies, as forced by ActiveSync, require power on numeric PIN, so there is no possibility of it getting powered on inadvertently.

And, wow, it just happened again, simply while laying on my chest while I was typing this! Powered off completely. Unresponsive to any button presses. Had to remove battery again.

Why would you do a factory reset after receiving your phone if nothing is wrong with it? After installing the OTA updates you should reboot the phone because of the phone app missing from the lockscreen, but otherwise a hard reset (factory reset) isn't warranted or necessary.

After you did a factory reset did you update your profile and PRL?

Upvote 0
Why would you do a factory reset after receiving your phone if nothing is wrong with it? After installing the OTA updates you should reboot the phone because of the phone app missing from the lockscreen, but otherwise a hard reset (factory reset) isn't warranted or necessary.
This is a corporate-provided phone. I did a factory reset because IT junior staff did initial setup, so I could not see what options they selected for me.

Factory reset shouldn't make things any worse, so not sure why it's even an issue.

After you did a factory reset did you update your profile and PRL?
Yes.

Yesterday evening, I did a 2nd factory reset, roughly 7 PM. Went to Settings > System updates an hour later, and the only thing needing an update was HTC software update. Firmware, profile, PRL found no updates needed.

HTC software update identified 4 updates. I installed them.

My last lock up was a few minutes before yesterday evening's 2nd factory reset. So far it's been fine.

Upvote 0
This is the EXACT problem my phone is having. The four bottom buttons light up, but the screen is black. Only solution seems to be a battery pull, which I've done several times since getting the phone on Friday.

Yes, it's loaded with apps, but it's interesting that you're having the reboots even after a hard reset.
Do apps even matter if you aren't running them? My impression was they don't load until first invoked?

As per my prior note, I did a 2nd factory reset last night and discovered I had a few updates pending at Settings > System updates. Not sure what made the difference, but it has been stable since then.

Upvote 0
Nope it is most likely an app you downloaded that is causing the issue, did it do this before you downloaded any apps, you you remember, I have gotten it a couple of times myself, but IMO I think it is app related.

It randomly reboots. It's done it maybe 4 times total since launch day. Should I exchange or is that not really that many times to be concerned.?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones