1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Random reboots - Is this a common problem?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nstallion, Jan 11, 2012.

1. nstallion

nstallion Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I just got my 32gb grey yesterday. I've used it for about 8 hours total so far and had it randomly rebooted on me 4 times. Twice was browsing the Tegra Zone, once in the market, and once in the browser.

Immediately after opening it yesterday I signed into my google account, stopped it from downloading anything from the market, and then forced the update to ICS. Essentially I didn't touch anything until ICS was loaded.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is mine defective?

Advertisement

2. KeithW

KeithW Newbie
    None

As noted in a number of posts on the ASUS Transformer forum, this is happening
    to a number of Prime owners that allowed the ICS update to occur. No one is
    sure why some have the problem and some don't. No solution has been found yet
    AFASIK.

3. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Military Pilot
    Mobile, AL
    Sorry you are having the problem.

I haven't had quite the issue you have.

It has like sort of locked up and rebooted about once every 4 days... Which is still too much...

4. nstallion

nstallion Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Have you upgraded to ICS? Seems like it's purely to do with that. I've tried disabling Asus Sync to see if that will do anything. It seems to be some background process that is doing it because the rebooting is almost random and has nothing to do with how much strain you're putting on the device or what app you are running.

5. jdbaker82

jdbaker82 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 19, 2011

Enjoy........

locking up and rebooting now with ICS..... - xda-developers

6. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Unfortunately mine has been doing this as well. I'd hate to have to do a factory reset to go back to Honeycomb, but it may come to that. I doubt that it's an add-on app that's at fault since it's happening to so many people.

7. jdbaker82

jdbaker82 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Correct its not some Primes have diff hardware in them ASUS is using mine for research and sending me a new one :)

8. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    ASAIK, you will not be able to downgrade to Honeycomb.

9. jrohrbaugh

jrohrbaugh Lurker
    None

Feb 3, 2012
    Sales Engineer
    Just to pile on here, I bought the transformer prime the other day and within an hour had the ICS update, so I can't really compare it to honeycomb. It locks up more often just sitting there than in use. If I have it on the coffee table I can see it re-boot about once an hour.

To complicate things, my droid-x running gingerbread has been running flaky in the last 2 months. I blamed hardware wear-out, but there may be too many apps crashing android in general, but it's difficult to debug. Of course, I have most of the same apps on the phone and tablet.

10. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    I'm almost amazed that they keep selling these things with such a known problem. If this were happening on the latest Apple product, it would be front-page news, and not just in the tech section!

FWIW, I'm following a thread in XDA-developers that's being updated by a U.S. Asus manager who's in Taiwan right now overseeing the development of a fix, which they expect shortly. It sounds like more than one problem area involving fixes both to Asus's software as well as something from nVidia.

My tablet is still sitting in their RMA bin in Texas, and I can only hope that they apply a fix and send it back soon!

11. davidchsw

davidchsw Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    I updated within a half hour of getting my prime. No problems like you mentioned.

12. jrohrbaugh

jrohrbaugh Lurker
    None

Feb 3, 2012
    Sales Engineer
    Interestingly enough, the problem seems to have gone away on mine....and I haven't accepted any software updates on the device. Perhaps ASUS has a way of automatically updating FW without the end user knowing, but that seems odd.