• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random reboots?

Have any of you noticed a correlation between rebooting and the loss of your 3G signal?

My phone had been almost without issues until the update in Dec. Then, it started multiple reboots. These reboots were "soft reboots". The phone displayed the word "DROID", then the Droid "Eye", then a black screen.

When the Homescreen returned, there would be a red circle with a line through it where the 3G icon should be. The phone would have no signal, until I manually shut it off and turned it back on.

I reported the soft reboots to Verizon. They suggested a factory reset. I tried both the "soft" and "hard" versions of those. No change in the rebooting.

They sent me a replacement phone. That phone rebooted as I was moving widgets around, before installing apps. I contacted Verizon again. They suggested another reset. That changed nothing.

Then, I began more research on my own. I tried a phone wipe. I formatted the SD card and reset the phone again. No change.

I ran the phone without the SD card. Still rebooted.

So, I contacted Verizon again. They sent me yet another phone, which I have had about a week. It has only rebooted once.

However, as I am browsing I frequently get the "Page Unavailable" message, or the "Connection Failed" message when in GMail. When that happens, I check and notice the 3G signal and icon are gone.

The only way to get 3G back is to manually restart the phone. When I try and check the phone signal strength (Settings/About Phone/Status), it locks up on the "Status" screen, displaying nothing but a black screen. The only way out is to hit the phone's Home button.

So, not only is the 3G signal gone, but something is affecting the phone's setting readouts.

I am thinking that some phones detect the loss of the 3G signal and reboot and others, like this latest replacement, just lose the signal and have to be manually rebooted (restarted) to regain it.

Try and notice if your rebooting is occurring after issues with your 3G signal.

I contacted Verizon again and was accused of rooting my phone (I don't). This tech refused to accept that it is the phone(s) and used the easy excuse of apps being the cause.

Didn't matter that I explained that it happened on one of the phones before apps were installed.

I don't know where to go from here. Either I am having horrible luck with my Droid X's, or there is something else going on.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Put your phone in safe mode, see if it still does it. Do a master reset see if it helps.
I'll try safe mode...master reset does nothing.

there were several threads about LP issues - I think some where reboot related

if you remove LP and the reboots go away, there's your answer...
I can't see my droid x without LPP...i use it religiously.
Better alternative for LPP?

Upvote 0
I'll try safe mode...master reset does nothing.

I can't see my droid x without LPP...i use it religiously.
Better alternative for LPP?

I don't know about better, but "golauncher" and "adw launcher" are two popular alternatives. They all have their pros and cons. I currently use golauncher. It has almost everything LPP has to offer minus the LLP widgets.

Upvote 0
I don't know about better, but "golauncher" and "adw launcher" are two popular alternatives. They all have their pros and cons. I currently use golauncher. It has almost everything LPP has to offer minus the LLP widgets.

I use ADW launcher and Widget Locker and I get the random reboots. I think they started with the newest operating system update. I am not rooted and don't know how to move apps off or on the SD card. The random reboots happen when plugging into a USB port or even an HDMI connection will do it. I suspect the newest system update and not any existing software.

Upvote 0
I use ADW launcher and Widget Locker and I get the random reboots. I think they started with the newest operating system update. I am not rooted and don't know how to move apps off or on the SD card. The random reboots happen when plugging into a USB port or even an HDMI connection will do it. I suspect the newest system update and not any existing software.

I don't know...there are two many variables. I'm on the newest update with golauncher and don't have random reboots. I'm rooted but I haven't flashed any roms or made any major modifications. There are just as many people on this forum that doesn't have random reboots than those who have. It's hard to chalk it up as a system update issue.

Upvote 0
I posted this in the other thread, but it may help someone else.........

Curious as to how many with rebooting problems also use wifi? I use wifi all day at work and at home. I had multiple rebooting since the Dec update and Verizon replaced my phone twice.

Nothing solved the rebooting until I stumbled onto a wifi thread in the Moto forum. Many of the issues there involved inability to connect and stay connected to wifi. But, the thing that caught my attention was the only settings my phone will connect with is WPA/WPA2 PSK.

Those settings are the ones most say don't work for them and the settings to "stay away from".

Long story short, while playing with other settings, I stopped using wifi at home (never have any issues at work, or anywhere else) and the rebooting stopped.

I felt like an idiot for not figuring it out sooner, but since I used wifi all day, with a router that uses the same settings, it didn't occur to me sooner.

Verizon is "working on it". In the meantime, I only use wifi at home to watch streaming video, or download large files, hoping the phone doesn't reboot in the middle of it.

Good thing is my rebooting mystery is solved and I tried EVERYTHING else to try and fix it.

Bad thing is no phone works with wifi at home without rebooting.

Upvote 0
purplelove, I think 3G and wifi are both related to rebooting.

Amber, try using your phone without the SD card to rule it out as a possibility. The phone works fine without it. Obviously, you won't be able to save anything to it, but browsing, email, texting, etc, work fine. I did this to rule mine out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones