• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Thought Thread

Saw that movie a little while ago, I was bothered by that too, I do not know why does Hollywood does movies like these, like in Hidden Figures, that give credit to real people too, why not just have other people justify that way, and not be so caught up in the glamours style of Hollywood ? It seem different about that way, I do not recall a Mission to Mars at all. Kind of wonder what was going throughout their head ya know..

I remember Mission to Mars, came out in 2000, at exactly the same time as The Red Planet, and both movies very similar.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183523/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199753/

Upvote 0
30 years the Jinan Foreign Languang School has been teaching the foreign languang to the foreign languang students. :thumbsupdroid:
Screenshot_20200103_154428.jpg

Upvote 0
Speaking of movies from the last decade, over the holidays we watched "The Martian" which came out in 2015.

I thought it was pretty well done, but I was puzzled by a couple of things, maybe you can help me out.

First, I expected in the credits for them to show the pictures of the real people and not just the Hollywood people who played those roles as they often do in these kinds of films. I was kind of disappointed by that. Was anyone else bothered by that?

Also, it seems like I would remember a mission to Mars that had these kinds of problems, but while they showed some news clips in the movie, for the life of me I can't remember seeing or reading anything in the news or on the internet about it.

Anyway, those things aside, kudos to NASA and JPL for that daring rescue, and especially to Ares Astronaut Mark Watney for his creative resiliency throughout his ordeal.
There has never been a manned mission to mars, the movie, and book, was pure fiction. BTW, if you really want to enjoy The Martian, I recommend reading the book.

Upvote 0
I meant it humorously, a la “The Onion.” The whole idea was a random musing. Apologies if that wasn’t apparent.
I have very little coffee in me and I'm loaded with cold meds. No surprise I'm slow on the updake and no need to apologize. :) I do really recommend reading the book, as the movie kind of missed a very large portion of the journey.

Upvote 0
NP, I thought more than once if I should post it as some might consider it bad form.

Some thought Martians were really invading New Jersey in the '38 -- as if any self-respecting martian would even want to go to New Jersey.

Besides, never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :D

Upvote 0
Some thought Martians were really invading New Jersey in the '38
My mom told me how frightening that was. It was very real and very scary...except, of course, it wasn't.
as if any self-respecting martian would even want to go to New Jersey.
My family couldn't leave fast enough! :D

Upvote 0
I was on the phone, so I'd paused the TV. DirecTV usually shows pretty scenery, like waterfalls and forests, as screensavers. But today, they're showing various things, and I saw this--and I was talking, so only halfway noticing it and -not- reading:

xx2020-01-03_13:54:49.jpg

I thought, wow!, flip-phones are making a comeback! DASH must be some new model I haven't heard of...

...then I hung up, and looked closer--it's a remote control:

x2020-01-03_13:54:49.jpg

Oh well.

(I still have--and like--DirecTV's old remote; whenever I need a new one, I specify that. :))

Upvote 0
::: looks at moody familiarly with smiles in his eyes:: Are you sure we are not realitive, I too photograph my t.v. on what I am currently watching,
Funny! I do it a lot. Sometimes there's some factoid I want to remember, so I'll pause and snap a pic of it, then later write it down somewhere. More often it's something like a Jeopardy! clue, which I did not know.

Here's a great example: I live in peacock/peafowl territory, right? You'd think I'd know all sorts of stuff about peafowl--and I do, to a degree; I mean definitely more than I knew before I lived in this house. But until seeing it on Jeopardy!, I did not know that a group of peafowl is called a muster or ostentation. :thinking:

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
Funny! I do it a lot. Sometimes there's some factoid I want to remember, so I'll pause and snap a pic of it, then later write it down somewhere. More often it's something like a Jeopardy! clue, which I did not know.

Here's a great example: I live in peacock/peafowl territory, right? You'd think I'd know all sorts of stuff about peafowl--and I do, to a degree; I mean definitely more than I knew before I lived in this house. But until seeing it on Jeopardy!, I did not know that a group of peafowl is called a muster or ostentation. :thinking:
Taviek Sayrumn lived in Winter Haven Florida, we talked for hours on end, really got to know one another online, but never had the chance to meet me up in here, we really deeply miss her around the river bend online.. Knew her forever...

Upvote 0
Saw the new star wars movie, had to give up even more time with the soon to be wife,
I feel so sick of not telling my siblings on what was going on, but I knew if I did then, I would feel really exhausted
in running into town just for that, and it is around a half hour ride to see the court, and had still could of been made it,
but just strange.. On the plus side, I got to spend time with my siblings though ^_^ And not to worry about writing or even my magic either..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones