• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Thought Thread

Good question. And why do Prius drivers either creep along blocking traffic or fly down the highway at 15+ over the limit?

Apologies to any Prius owners here, but I love South Park's take on this. Smug alert! :D

south_park_smug_prius-680x436.jpg

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Just the "Come as your favorite naked politician" party ... so, no. ;) :D

How's the bionic back coming along?

Famously. I am in the 1 percentile. I woke up with 99% of my pain and discomfort gone. The surgery pain was minimal and didn't even require pain medication. I have my full range of motion and am 99% pain free, so perfect, miraculous, amazing.

Thanks for asking.

Upvote 0
Outstanding.

Do you have to carry one of those cards that says you have a metal implant for airport security?

I assume yes, my wife got one on the day of her inner ear surgery and her's is about the size of a tic-tac so I am thinking I'll get one and it will most likely come up Tuesday at my post-op. We'll see.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Interview competency question: "Describe a situation where you resolved a conflict".

Just an observation, but I really believe that most people have no clue how to deal properly with conflicts, or if they say they do, in practice don't handle these situations at all well.
And I'm including managers, who should really know how to do it.

I have gotten those questions before. In fact, the interview for this latest job had a whole pile of those type questions. Two and half hours of this stuff, and that was after a few assessment tests.

I guess I was lucky n that I have had practice interviewing for jobs, I was already employed and therefore less desperate to please, and I am painfully blunt, which I iterated to the people interviewing me: you want to know you'll get, well here I am, with all my faults exposed.

I got the job, and those same people are fine talking to me outside of the interview, so I guess I can't be that bad...

Upvote 0
Competency type questions are the thing that you can be very prepared for, because you can compile a list of situations that demonstrate a particular competency. They usually start with "Describe a situation where..."

And yeah, if you go to an interview already being in a job, then you can afford to be a little more free with your comments, to a certain extent. Last interview I had, I think I asked them as many questions as they asked me haha! Maybe that annoyed them a bit, but at least I came out with a good understanding of what the job involved. They didn't offer me the position, but I kind of thought I didn't want it anyway, based on what they said.

Upvote 0
Question: How can the pole vault world record continue to increase, if the pole stays the same length?

Climate change/global warming causes the atmosphere to warm and is therefore able to hold more moisture in suspension. This creates a denser atmosphere which increases its buoyancy. ;)

Upvote 0
Interview competency question: "Describe a situation where you resolved a conflict".

Answer: "An interviewer asked me a pointless, ridiculous question which put me in the conflicting position of either lying to them with an equally pointless answer, or telling them they were all idiots, so I left."

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Answer: "An interviewer asked me a pointless, ridiculous question which put me in the conflicting position of either lying to them with an equally pointless answer, or telling them they were all idiots, so I left."

:D
Good one. My pet peeve is the ultimate lame, lazy, pointless question of all time

What are your weaknesses?

Would anyone give an honest answer to that one? Every interviewee worth their salt has a canned, lame response, revolving around the idea of presenting a weakness in a positive light.

I'm would dearly love to say "I have a severely low tolerance to dumb interview questions". Then just walk out.

Upvote 0
The whole thing is simply incredible. 20 years in the making! That's just something, imagine what it would be like with today's tech but consider what was sent back (those pictures!!) using 'old' tech. Just amazing. Wow.

You gotta consider the Voyagers are still going - they launched in the 70s and are out of the solar system.

Opportunity the Mars Rover launched in 2004 is also still going.

Consider the computer chips and programming they used to do such things. I can't remember but I think Opportunity's chip was 386 based.

BTW - Galileo crashed into Jupiter in the same manner when mission was done. Huygens crashed on Titan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones