• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Thought Thread

So my wife is finally fed up (enough) with ATT and her Samsung Note Edge to want to ditch and join me on Fi. With the advent of the Moto X4 being the first Android One phone in the US and being compatible with Fi I am considering getting the new X4 for myself and letting my beloved have the Pixel. My thinking is ... with the purchase of the HTC Pixel team by Google I would bet the Pixel 3 will be worth the wait. This would be an incredibly cheap option for getting both of us on Fi and I bet I'd be fine with the new X4 what with my history with Moto. I am hesitant to trade in my N6 but ... $100 bucks off + the $50 Fi credit is tempting - would REALLY make it an affordable option.

So to my friends in the forum ... thoughts?
View attachment 123760
I ordered one that afternoon. Supposed to ship mid October. Since I have discovered the joy of streaming and turned into a data hog, I don't plan on activating it on the Fi Network. Hopefully I can pop in my Verizon sim and be good to go. Sucks that only the 32gb, 3gb ram version is being offered in the Android One program.

Upvote 0
I have a cheap a$$ Dell that I picked up during a holiday special (for ~$200 U.S.) that was a dog with a Celeron CPU, 2GB RAM and a 5400 RPM mechanical hard drive. For an extra $100 I updated the RAM to 4GB and put in an SSD. It dual boots Windows 10 and Mint and performs pretty well for what it is. I also have an Asus Zen Book with an i7, 8 GB ram and a factory installed SSD that I barely ever use ... but it's super thin with an all metal frame and touch screen, so it looks really cool. ;)

Upvote 0
I decided to install Linux Mint on my laptop, but I kept Windows intact. I made a recovery medium before proceeding to shrink Windows to only 40 gigabytes. The rest of the storage went to Linux Mint. Everything went without a hitch.

Yeah that's what I did initially. Then after a while I used that Windows partition more productively, to store my games :)

Upvote 0
How long is one supposed to wait for service after being seated at a restaurant?

I sat in this Italian restaurant for more than fifteen minutes without even an offer of a drink. So I got up and left.

They weren't busy, so I couldn't even grant them that excuse.

My experience is, once we're seated service comes very quickly, maybe a minute at the most, and anything more is just unsatisfactory. That's restaurants in China of course.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
How long is one supposed to wait for service after being seated at a restaurant?

I sat in this Italian restaurant for more than fifteen minutes without even an offer of a drink. So I got up and left.

They weren't busy, so I couldn't even grant them that excuse.

People tolerate different levels of service. I personally don't think 15 minutes from ordering food is unreasonable to wait. At least it shows they're cooking it, not just sticking something in a microwave.
I remember taking the family to a hotel restaurant where I think they forgot about us completely. We waited a long time before kicking up a fuss.

Upvote 0
15 minutes is a long time from being seated to getting a glass of water, especially if it's not busy. Your server should have been to your table in that time and taken drink orders for sure. I get it if it's busy but not if it's not. Actually getting your meal is flexible, don't rush the cook and all that!

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
15 minutes is a long time from being seated to getting a glass of water, especially if it's not busy. Your server should have been to your table in that time and taken drink orders for sure. I get it if it's busy but not if it's not. Actually getting your meal is flexible, don't rush the cook and all that!

:) I misread the post. Yes I agree 15 minutes is a long time to wait for service and taking the order.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones