• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Thought Thread

Why doesn't the US repurpose old Military planes and ships instead of sending them places to waste away?

The preservation tech for those old work horses is pretty good but could you imagine a B-52 fleet of Fire Fighters and "Sweet Mary and Joseph!" How much stuff could an Aircraft Carrier carry if you didn't need the deck to launch and the holds for planes and fuel.

That is a good question, and there are many answers. Some of the equipment is being stored nominally for emergencies (an unanticipated war). There are a lot of things that cannot be adequately deweaponized for reuse in civilian applications. Some warships and aircraft are sold to foreign governments, however, both a hull and an airframe have practical usage limits. Once you reach those limits, the vessel can no longer be used for its intended purposes safely.

Speaking of safety, there are rules in effect now that prohibit the practical refitting of older aircraft from being reused for commercial (or even private) applications, such as requirements for emergency locator beacons and anti-collision equipment (there may be waivers for museum-type planes such as those used for airshows...) which carry a hefty price tag for purchase, installation and maintenance.

Disposing of things built more than thirty years ago can be a problem because of some of the materials used in the manufacture (think PCBs, lead, and asbestos) and deconstructing these hulls is prohibitively expensive.

For that same reason, you will find that there are shipping container graveyards in many coastal areas: they are put out to rust because they are unsuitable for their intended purpose, and/or too expensive to ship empty back to their countries of origin and recycling is not profitable.

Upvote 0
I'll be off work and snuggling with my wife, playing video games and hanging out with family and friends starting sometime this afternoon ending on the 2nd of January. I'll be away from the internet (happily) but wanted to wish each and every one of the fine human beings on Android Forums that make my normal days brighter a Very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Cheery Ramadan, Festivus for the Restofus and Awesome Whatever that you either celebrate or don't .... and a Happy New Year!

Thanks for making my work life in 2017 a little bit easier to live through. I can't thank you all enough.

I hope 2018 treats you all well!

524d848102a8119b20b0d7524bedcf2c--christmas-scenes-christmas-art.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones