• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Thought Thread

I still don't get running marathons or the whole ironman thing either.
K I get it in one day you might could go further than I because you exercise all the time to train to run _________ miles etc etc.

but when the apcollypse hits - I'm the guy that's fixing the yellow hummer on the side of the road so I can leave and make up lots of miles. Or - When the SHTF for real I train at the gun range so I can hit something 50 yards away.

but I sure as hell can't and won't run 26 miles. meh. I get everyone needs a hobby.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I still don't get running marathons or the whole ironman thing either.
K I get it in one day you might could go further than I because you exercise all the time to train to run _________ miles etc etc.

but when the apcollypse hits - I'm the guy that's fixing the yellow hummer on the side of the road so I can leave and make up lots of miles. Or - When the SHTF for real I train at the gun range so I can hit something 50 yards away.

but I sure as hell can't and won't run 26 miles. meh. I get everyone needs a hobby.
I hear you! The whole running thing has never made sense to me--all that unnecessary, pounding, wear and tear on your joints...I don't get it.

My daughter started competing in marathons several years ago. I still don't get it!

Upvote 0
Does the Palace of Westminster in London put you in mind of a seaside vacation?
Screenshot_20190507_174901.jpg

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I hear you! The whole running thing has never made sense to me--all that unnecessary, pounding, wear and tear on your joints...I don't get it.

My daughter started competing in marathons several years ago. I still don't get it!

Hi Moody, is your daughter a competitive runner, or just for fitness? The former, I believe can be damaging if you're not careful.

Here are some reasons to do running:-

If you want to lose weight, then running is the most effective way to burn calories.
Fitness improvements
Improves mental health - it really does relieve stress.
Trying to improve your PBs
Gets you outside and in the fresh air
It requires virtually no expense - no gym membership.
Highly accessible. It can be done by stepping out your front door.
You can do it alone, no playing partner or team required
Believe it or not, some people enjoy it

I run purely for the fitness benefits, can't say I 'enjoy' it. Having a sedentary job sitting at a desk all day isn't great for your long term health, and is an unnatural lifestyle for humans, who are designed for physical activity.

But you have to weigh against that, the damage done to your body through running. Which is why I don't run long distances. Marathon, absolutely not. My limit is 6k, which I believe is a good distance for improving fitness, and causing minimal damage to the body, if you run at a moderate pace.

I used to have the goal of running a sub 20 minute 5k, but eventually came to the conclusion that it was beyond my capability, so I gave up trying to run faster - again, another way of inviting damage and injury to the body. The longer and faster you try to run, the more likelihood you'll damage something.

These days, my only performance goal is to make sure nobody beats me on the finish straight of Parkrun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I've ridden a bike a million miles but I'm no runner. I understand that there is a certain body high that is achieved when running. Something about adrenaline kicking in when they are in that running groove that is sweet. Not for me.

You're right Olbriar, there are mental benefits, in terms of endorphins, but I think this applies to most forms of physical exercise.

It's entirely down to the individual's choice. We're all free people, and have made decisions on how we live our lives. For a large part of my life I did absolutely no physical activity. I took up running relatively late, but I'm convinced of the benefits of physical activity in improving long term health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Orange marbelade keyboards. Only the color and texture, not make a sandwich or anything, also dancing elephants with out the brain tinkering on them either. An orange peeler peeling off banana skin, also men travel throughout galaxies.

Well you got random on lock son. nice.

and now I want orange maramalde on toast. crap.

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
Hi Moody, is your daughter a competitive runner, or just for fitness? The former, I believe can be damaging if you're not careful.
Hmmm...I'm not quite sure how to answer that. I mean, she *is* competing when she's running marathons, but she's not [and probably will never be] an elite runner, winning marathons or anything.
Here are some reasons to do running:- ...
Good points. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones