• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random unresponsive screen after JB?

I installed it a couple days ago and a few times during the day the screen will become unresponsive at the lock screen.
I am forced to hold the power button untill the phone reboots. Anyone else with this problem?

Yes, but I thought it was just me because I rooted my phone. Rooting was my first objective once I obtained the updated. Since I have noticed the screen issue and have to reboot the same way as you mentioned. Since I have a case it is easier than a battery pull.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem - and ended up doing a factory reset. I got everything set up again in about 30 minutes and it's really smooth now. I also gained about 400MB of free space which I needed since I'm not rooted anymore. I think I'm going to wait on rooting. I almost never tethered, and I don't really need the space. I keep most of my big apps on my Nexus 7 and I always have both of them with me.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem - and ended up doing a factory reset. I got everything set up again in about 30 minutes and it's really smooth now. I also gained about 400MB of free space which I needed since I'm not rooted anymore. I think I'm going to wait on rooting. I almost never tethered, and I don't really need the space. I keep most of my big apps on my Nexus 7 and I always have both of them with me.

I finally got tether to work with the jb update. Had to use pdanet+ on phone and pdanet for tablet on my nexus 7. Although I don't think it's WiFi, it looks like the pdanet app on the tablet set up a VPN network, not really sure. All I know is a
I'm sending this via my tablet sitting in my car!

Credit for this find goes to Superboy 4444!

Upvote 0
Yes, but I thought it was just me because I rooted my phone. Rooting was my first objective once I obtained the updated. Since I have noticed the screen issue and have to reboot the same way as you mentioned. Since I have a case it is easier than a battery pull.

Had the same "screen locking up" problem and someone suggested it might be touch wiz so I tried another launcher and haven't had it reoccur for the last day of use. Maybe its fixed, hope so

Reactions: mysticspiral
Upvote 0
Has anyone called and reported this problem? It doesn't seem like everyone who has updated to JB is experiencing it based on this forum, but it does look like some percentage of phones are being affected.

I'm not sure who would be better to call, Samsung or Virgin Mobile?

I haven't updated my phone yet so I'm not sure if I will encounter this too.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same lock screen freezing problem. At least twice a day. With and without headphone use for me. Can only restart with battery pull. Did factory restore, but didn't help. Someone had mentioned trying an alternate launcher (meaning touchwiz might be the problem), so I installed the free Nova launcher from the Play Store last night. So far so good, but I'm not sure it will last. This has shaken my faith in Samsung/Virgin/android in general. Phone was great before the update. :(

Upvote 0
Virgin Mobile pushed out a system update on my phone around May 19th. Is this the JB update you guys are talking about? My phone now shows version 4.1.2. Ever since this update, my phone is frequently unresponsive. I can unlock the phone without a delay but clicking any app will often result in the screen going blank for 30-60 seconds before the app opens. Sometimes I can't even get a response after waiting a few minutes in which case I have to boot. After a boot the phone works ok for an hour or so, but then it's back to the unresponsive state.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, but less frequently (twice in 3 days). I've never rooted, or done anything other than download a few apps. I'm going to try the Nova launcher suggested above. I'll report back
UPDATE: Since installing the Nova launcher on the day of my original post, I have had no more instances of the touch screen lockup. That being said, I wasn't seeing it as often as some others, so it might be too soon to tell.

UPDATE: The locking problem has reoccurred since the Nova installation. I'm going back to the stock launcher for now to see what happens

Upvote 0
I'm having the same lock screen freezing problem. At least twice a day. With and without headphone use for me. Can only restart with battery pull. Did factory restore, but didn't help. Someone had mentioned trying an alternate launcher (meaning touchwiz might be the problem), so I installed the free Nova launcher from the Play Store last night. So far so good, but I'm not sure it will last. This has shaken my faith in Samsung/Virgin/android in general. Phone was great before the update. :(

I'll update too: Nova launcher did indeed seem to help Sunday through Tuesday, but I used my phone a bit more today (Wednesday) and I got the dreaded frozen lock screen once in the afternoon and once in the evening. Holding down power button for about 10 sec. to restart (or battery pull) required.

Anyone have any other solutions? At this rate, I'm looking into other phones/carriers. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones