1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support randomly starts going to apps when i press on the keyboard >.<

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CBRRider, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CBRRider

CBRRider Member
    None

Feb 11, 2010
    Electrical and Computer Engineer
    Canton, MI
    So my mother has a Transform and randomly when she is using the keyboard, it will open up apps on her phone instead of typing the message. For instance, she will press G and it goes to gmail....or Y will open up youtube. The shortcuts are still set for the default of having to press search + the letter to open the app up.

I have no idea how it gets into this mode, but the only way i have figured out how to do it is to restart the phone. It only does it on the hardware keyboard though and not the on screen one.

Any ideas what causes this and way to undo it if it does...other then restarting?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. speeder760

speeder760 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Go into settings > applications > quick launch
    Once in quick launch youll see a list of letters and some of them will have an app name under it, for ex G will have gmail.
    Long press of the G and a menuwill pop up, select delete.
    Do this for all letters with an app attached to it and this should fix your problem.

3. CBRRider

CBRRider Member
    None

Feb 11, 2010
    Electrical and Computer Engineer
    Canton, MI
    I have got to that menu before to make sure it was set to the defaults. But those shortcuts require search + G or whatever letter is set to open the app. I understand that might fix it from happening again but i would still like to know what causes it to do that to begin with. I can restart the phone and it works fine without an issue for a couple days it seems like and then randomly goes back into that mode.

Thanks for the idea though, i'll try that next time i stop over there.

4. ashtonn4

ashtonn4 Newbie
    None

May 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    that will "resolve" the issue.... the actual issue is that the phone thinks the search is activated...it should be resolved in future update.

5. chas9rr

chas9rr Newbie
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    Truck Driver
    Denver, CO
    ashtonn4 is correct, that will "resolve" the issue, but not the problem, the actual problem is the phone thinks you are holding down the search button and pressing a shortcut key. What i have done to get the phone back to normal is to press the search button rapidly about 10 times, then hit the back button to get back to the typing area. Works every time for me.
    Charles

6. speeder760

speeder760 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    youre gonna make your phone have a siezure or something one of these days fr pushing the button too many times lol