1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Randomly Turning Off?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rob89, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dca860

dca860 Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Police Officer
    mid Surrey
    Yes - me too. Brand new phone. HOWEVER, I do not think the phone is switching off, I think it is stuck in standby (because the alarm still came on in the morning which smartphones do not do when off). I have performed a hard reset (switch on and hold in menu + power). So far, this seems to have helped.

Advertisement

2. ahassanmaly

ahassanmaly Lurker
    None

May 19, 2011
    Hello Bought my Galaxy ace 15 days ago ! and facing some problem !!!

it suddenly goes off when I call it it rings on the phone but the ace never wake up untill i have to do a battery pull reset and then there is no log of the missed calls or emails etc...

when at home and work I am always connected via WIFI to email/ facebook and twitter !!!

so if I am turning them off what's the use of the mobile !!!! that really piss me off !!!

How can we downgrade it to the previous firmware or the problem is also at all firmwares !

samsung should work on solving this SOON !

3. Haisook

Haisook Newbie
    None

May 8, 2011
    I suggest that each one of us sends an email to Samsung telling them about this problem. We should send the emails to one email address so they become aware that many people are facing this problem.

What do you think?

4. pomfretts

pomfretts Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    My alarm does not go off when this happens. Hmmm

5. Cardboard

Cardboard Newbie
    None

May 18, 2011
    me too and it happened this morning!!

Could it be to do with battery saving apps perhaps? What apps do people have that are constantly running? Maybe there is a bug and we all have that same app!

I have Battery Saver and Y5 that run constantly.

6. croq

croq Lurker
    None

May 2, 2011
    Bought my ace 3 weeks ago. Got the problem of the phone turning off by itself. Took it back to samsung twice but the problem persisted. Went back the third time and this time the motherboard was replaced and its been a week now and not experiencing any more self shut down by the phone. Its behaving well ever since. Just want to share my experience with everybody.

Juviene likes this.
  7. wincs

wincs Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2011
    Intermittent self-shut off problem with my Galaxy Ace as well. Samsung Singapore replaced the motherboard and had my phone delivered to my place, free-of-charge, within a day! Inspite of great customer service from Samsung, unfortunately, the problem still occurs. :eek:

8. error974

error974 Member
    None

May 20, 2011
    Hy guys. I recently purchased Ace and I have SODs from first day. On Monday, I updated to Gingerbread 2.3.3 and since then, I didn't experienced any issues with my phone. I'm very pleased with my Ace now.

9. Cardboard

Cardboard Newbie
    None

May 18, 2011
    So when they release the gingerbread update, then maybe all will be OK?

Any ideas when they will officially release it?

10. error974

error974 Member
    None

May 20, 2011
    I think that KPE version which is on samfirmware site is official one. I flashed trough ODIN, and KIES now says "It's the latest firmware".

11. salman92

salman92 Lurker
    None

May 8, 2011

Hi all here .......... your cell auto shutdown problem is due to wifi ( which is totally a android problem not a samsung problem ) so i had same problem so pls guys pls for the solution go to Android market search the App " WifiManager" install it and Run the program and forget everything ............ it wont let ur cell sleeeeeeeeeeeep again ......... ;) and better if u guys get another app " Android booster " it'll also help u ....... have a great day guys .....

12. ahassanmaly

ahassanmaly Lurker
    None

May 19, 2011

Dear salman92

I've already installed both applications Android booster and wifi manager and my Phone is still suffering from the Sleep of Death !

is there any special settings that I Should select in any of the 2 programs or not ?

13. aktifit

aktifit Well-Known Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    it looks like there's no real fix so far except for never letting wifi go to sleep? so since i'm unable to leave my wifi on without sucking all life out of my battery, is there an app that let's you easily turn on wifi periodically for syncing purposes like mail, weather, etc? i already know it'd be possible with timeriffic but i'm hoping for something simpler to use...

14. Juviene

Juviene Newbie
    None

May 24, 2011
    Student
    India
    Hey. My phone is a few days old and I have been having the same problem for the first day itself. I am thankful to you for posting this. Your post was helpful.

15. gungy

gungy Newbie
    None

May 24, 2011
    Ok time to throw a spanner in the works because i dont think its anything to do with wifi at all.

Lets look at the symptoms, phone appears off but it isnt but screen isnt responding.
    Requires reboot to work properly again whether that means removing battery or via power button which take more than one press, thus implying you are in fact turning it off first.

I say its the proximity sensor on the front turning the screen off but failing to allow it to turn back on. Hence the reason it seems off when in fact it isnt, as for fix that is beyond me but maybe somebody else can figure that out

16. Haisook

Haisook Newbie
    None

May 8, 2011
    Smart thinking, but it can't explain why the phone does this only while WiFi is on. :rolleyes:

17. gungy

gungy Newbie
    None

May 24, 2011
    Maybe the wifi auto off feature ( for lack of knowledge gonna say dll ) is controled by a very similar dll to the one that controls screen off. And that is the reason it seems to improve the situation but not entirely fix it. Ive been looking for some way to turn off the proximity sensor completely to test this.

18. chismay

chismay Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    ASSISTANT HEAD CHEF
    LONDON
    this problem persist even with my wifi off..

i didnt know the phone was actually still on i thought it completely shuts itself down. learning that i would think its something other then wifi causing the problem too.

maybe just a bug it doesn happen sometimes on my android tablet scroll. it doesnt happen on me htc hero gsm but thats loaded with cyanogenmod.

19. aktifit

None

May 24, 2011
    so i didn't have my wifi sleep for the last two days and it never went unresponsive, instead it once just randomly rebooted... well that's an improvemnt, but not really what i want :p

20. homola_m

homola_m Lurker
    None

May 27, 2011
    Good news: There is a solution!

Recently I upgraded my Galaxy Ace to 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) OS and the problem solved. The phone no longer shuts itself off when switching on the Wifi :)
    The upgrade is not yet official, that's why is not available in Samsung Kies software.
    Unfortunately I don't have an english language tutorial for it but I guess you can find it easily with google. Moreover, the phone became faster as well so it's worth upgrading!

21. Blowning

Blowning Lurker
    None

May 29, 2011
    Hi, All:
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace a month ago, and I had same trouble you all said.
    I had a SOD a few times a day, so I tried many App. but symptom was not changed.
    But after installing Advanced WiFi Lock Free, this symptom is never happen for six days in a row.
    (Now still testing)
    I know this App. increase battery consumption, but within my usage, it is not big problem.
    Please try this app.

22. Wyctafitrti

Wyctafitrti Lurker
    None

May 13, 2011
    Hi Everyone,
    Good to see that a lot of guys share my grief about my first Sumsung and first android (I hope that Samsung is not my last android brand) switching from Nokia. My choice is to use the workaround - "Use WiFi only when required". At all other time, I have my GPRS data plan.

I like this thread, I have already bookmarked it. Thanks for all who have provided workarounds but I hope Samsung would come out with some kind of a fix for this issue at least for the ones who are having this trouble.

23. Haisook

Haisook Newbie
    None

May 8, 2011
    To all users,

Samsung has announced Gingerbread (Android OS 2.3) update for all galaxy phones including Ace and Gio. It will be released soon, and I think it will fix this issue.

24. haithem

haithem Lurker
    None

May 26, 2011
    Amman, Jordan
    Thank you all for the input in this thread, waiting for Gingerbread to solve the problem!
    currently keeping my wifi off unless used

25. aktifit

None

May 24, 2011
    well i've been using gingerbread for almost a week now and it didn't happen, but my wifi battery usage was surprisingly high so maybe the sleep function just doesn't work properly anymore, or that's just normal i don't know :p