1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Randomly Turning Off?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rob89, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mattcaney

mattcaney New Member

May 31, 2011
    I'm on my 3rd Ace in 6 weeks with the SOD with Virgin, and going to ask if they can change it for a Desire S and I think they have had enough chance now. Samsung sort it out as its a great phone when it works.

Advertisement

2. chrisblower

chrisblower New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    While googling this problem, I came across people having the same issue with other Samsung Android phones. One suggestion was to clean the battery contacts and make sure the battery is seated properly. When the phone is jiggled around, the battery can lose contact if it's not in tightlt or the contacts are a bit dirty, and this powers the phone off. I gave the contacts a rub and voila, no SOD for 3 days now.

3. praky

praky Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    well keep using it, it is going to occur sooner or later going by the amount of people that have had this problem.

also the phone is not even in off dtate. set screen timeout to never and voila! a sod with screen light on. that negates the battry theory completely.

4. ral

ral Well-Known Member

So far, now a bit over 222 hours with no sleep of death or other issues.

vikramsnr likes this.
  5. sajidtp

sajidtp New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Finance
    Dubai
    @ral: I got the phone back from service centre last week with scrolled comment on service notice: "replaced PBA and battery". All was okay till yesterday, SOD again (though once) after alarm rang. Wifi was on all night.

Will gingerbread solve this issue? I don't want to take it back to service centre and wait for another week.

Note: as some suggested I've not turned off wifi sleep policy to "never", wants to see if that works out.

6. insekticide

insekticide Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Male
    IT System Administrator
    Germany
    Hi,

I was having the same problem with my Galaxy Ace. It randomly shut down. I also had a WIFI Error apearing every now and then which would only be fixed once i restarted the phone. I sent it in and am waiting now to see what my provider is saying. Hopefully I will get a new one that works. I don't think its a software problem since i did a hardware reset and did not install any apps and still had the same problem.

I will reply when I get my phone back.

7. sirblue

sirblue Guest

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

8. sirblue

sirblue Guest

i did all this with my phone but on 3rd one in 4 weeks,new one o.k 3days old

9. ral

ral Well-Known Member

@sajidtp

Our new phone really has no SOD issues. I do not think my wife has turned it off at all in two weeks we have had it. I do not know what to say. I really think it is a hardware issue.

I wrote a blog post which caters to Philippine viewers: Mobile Raptor: Samsung Galaxy Ace "Sleep of Death Issue", someone commented that he had the same issue on a Galaxy Mini.

In our local mobile phone forums: TipidCP.com | Premier Online Trading Portal For Mobile Phones and Devices, only one other person reported having a similar problem.

In brief, I think it is a isolated problem affecting only a few units, but I am guessing it is a hardware problem. A software issue would be widespread.

10. snorky

snorky Member

Jul 4, 2011
    i think this problem is deeper than "just a few units" i,m on my 7th phone in 3 weeks , luckily my local outlet has a 28 day return policy , i think most handset owners do not realise the issue exists , i actually took one back with the fault happening , previous to that i felt the outlet did not believe me now they have seen it for real they are cool with changing it when the fault shows up, the longest i had a handset go was 10 days all the others went faulty within 48 hrs , Ive left feedback on Samsung UK hopefully if enough people do this they may take note quicker to resolve it

11. ral

ral Well-Known Member

@snorky

Possible. I think if you turn WiFi on and off only as needed the problem is less likely to occur. That could explain why we have few complaints in the Philippines.

12. snorky

snorky Member

Jul 4, 2011
    I did actually have one phone recover on its own, I just left it and I came back to life on its own after a few hours , this is what makes me think people do not know this is happening , I play with my phone constantly so I get to see if the fault occurs quickly (sad eh?) I hear what you say about wi fi, but this just should not be happening, we all pay a lot of money for these smart phones now, I think big players like Samsung should look quickly at these sorts off issues, little bugs like this really give other phone makers the edge in a very competitive market, its like owning a car and "switching the heaters off when its cold just incase the engine cuts out".......just should not happen :)

Snorky

13. aish_varya

aish_varya Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Java Developer
    Mumbai
    You people just don't seem to get it. Please stop posting same things again and again.

Here is the actual explanation for this SOD bug and conclusion.

1. Its a WIFI Bug. If Wifi is on, and Ace goes to sleep 1/5 times, display goes unresponsive. Its seems as if the cell has turned off. You can restart it by pressing "power" button for "10 secs" SOFT FORCED REBOOT which also explains that linux kernel is up and running and processes the FORCED REBOOT INPUT. You can also HARD REBOOT by taking the battery out.

2. This is not a Hardware problem. Its been over a month since I upgraded to 2.3.4 and this bug hasn't happened yet. And there are many other users as well who are not facing this problem after upgrading OS.

which also means there's no sense replacing your Ace with another Ace "ALL HAVE THE SAME SOFTWARE". A BRAND NEW ACE will also have the same problem.

Yes, if your dealer/shopkeeper is ready for an exchange with a different handset then you may go ahead for an exchange.

Conclusion: Wait for the official gingerbread release if you wish it to be fixed the old orthodox way. Else you can try different leaked gingerbread ROMs and stick to the one which actually solves your problem.

PLZ Note:
    1. Using ANY leaked ROM and believing "it will resolve the bug" is being stupid.
    2. Using third party WIFI Apps and custom launchers will not solve the problem
    3. Changing WIFI sleep policy will not solve the problem.
    4. Using leaked ROM 2.3.4 posted by punit in other post "WILL FIX THIS BUG"

And Ofcourse turning WIFI off will definitely help.

14. Cotshov

Cotshov Member

Jul 5, 2011
    It's happening to me too :(
    I can't believe it, I bet everybody who has the problem has tried the solutions suggested in the different posts, yet the problem still exist!!
    And it doesnt require a 10 second pressing to turn on again, just a simple turning on would wake the device! This is creepy Samsung!
    Serious and dangerous consequences may result from this, like a very important business call would cause a big loss, or an injured beloved in an accident trying to reach you while your phone is in a deep sleep, or how if your kid is having issues at school and also trying to reach you?... seriously it should be taken serious!
    My mobile is a Galaxy S by the way, I'm crossing fingers for a solution, and thanks to all the replies and attempts proposed, it was worth trying.

15. Cotshov

Cotshov Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Turining WIFI absolutely did not help, my WIFI is always off, and this occurs.
    I dont need to press for 10 seconds the power button... :thinking:

16. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Replacing my wife Ace worked for us... been 19 days now no SOD.

17. kuracpalac

kuracpalac New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    hey all...

i bought the galaxy ace about 2 weeks ago, and i had some random SoD hangs too.
    what i noticed is when i do softreboot (hold power for 10s) the accelerometer isnt working anymore (auto screen rotate). need to turn off the phone again, and turn it back on for it to work again.

now i turned off the auto rotate feature (altho having it off annoys me as hell :) ), and im leaving my wifi always on and also all other wifi related options are set to default.

will let u know if i get any SoD

18. snorky

snorky Member

Jul 4, 2011
    :)
    Well did you get this from an official source or are you just guessing, if it is the latter , WELL YOU JUST DON'T GET IT, people can post what they feel others should hear freely, Samsung are burying there heads in the sand over this ,Ive had my reviews removed from their web site , not that they were offencive or critical , just the truth , and still no upgrade:)

19. kuracpalac

kuracpalac New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    i researched a bit yesterday and i found that ppl still have the problem even with 2.3.4 update on other forums.

also im pretty sure i wont update my phone with any leaked rom, since its common that people get other problems with the phone too.

20. nealyblue

nealyblue New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    This is way off the mark, I have tried custom ROMS and leaked ROMS on 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 and this issue is still there. The only thing which prevents me from getting SODs is by using the SD card which was supplied with the phone, if I use any other card my phone still has SODs.

21. daolak

daolak Member

Apr 6, 2011
    That's weird. I have never used any other than the sd card that was supplied with the phone, but i still have SODs unless i use the previously mentioned "disable sleep mode" hack to prevent them.

22. nealyblue

nealyblue New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Yeah it is really weird I have tried 5 different SD Cards and I suffer SODs with all of them except the 2GB one which was supplied with the phone.
    The only reason I stumbled accross this was the following quote on VillianRoms website "

KNOWN BUGS:

- Wifi still has issues with some SD cards "

23. Cotshov

Cotshov Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't think it's the SD card, coz I dont have one, and the problem is there...
    I don't turn WIFI on, and the problem is still there...

The moment im writing this, I have turned the device on twice less than a mminute.

A solution is required!

24. praky

praky Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    are you sure you have the issue on 2.3.4?
    be sure while answering.

25. nealyblue

nealyblue New Member

Jul 6, 2011

Positive, I have tried KPH (official Samfirmware) and Coderom (custom) which are both 2.3.4 roms and the SODs still occur :(