• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Why is the whole world conspiring in a conspiracy to prevent me from getting more than 10 minutes sleep??????

Want to meet my Siamese cat when it's cold out? She doesn't know whether to sleep on the register or under the covers in my bed. It's either a ROWR or a loud purr in your ear, accompanied by the coldest, wettest nose I have ever seen on a cat.

Upvote 0
You are living rent-free in my house, eating food I buy, and sucking money out of my wallet to pay your bills.

Do you really think I am going to feel guilty for spending some of my money doing something for me?

Yes your children are hungry, and yes they are naked. They are your children and only my grandchildren. If you want me to raise them, then just walk away. BTW, I have done my parenting gig already, and I obviously didn't do a very good job of it, so thanks, but no I will not take your burden away for you.

If you won't walk out through that door, then I will. But don't act too surprised when suddenly there is a For Sale sign in the front yard.

Upvote 0
You are living rent-free in my house, eating food I buy, and sucking money out of my wallet to pay your bills.

Do you really think I am going to feel guilty for spending some of my money doing something for me?

Yes your children are hungry, and yes they are naked. They are your children and only my grandchildren. If you want me to raise them, then just walk away. BTW, I have done my parenting gig already, and I obviously didn't do a very good job of it, so thanks, but no I will not take your burden away for you.

If you won't walk out through that door, then I will. But don't act too surprised when suddenly there is a For Sale sign in the front yard.

Can't say LIKE, but all the best for you

Upvote 0

That sounds like an ugly situation. I wouldn't blame you for saying screw it. You have to put your foot down sometimes. Don't take that as a reflection of your parenting. My dad wasn't even around me growing up, much less has ever helped me. You're doing way more than most.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
I don't get it, why kill support for Tapatalk when your replacement app is unusable?

Seriously, I pull up the app, go to the Lounge and it's "congratulations, you're the first person here! Post something"

Then I go to the website on my phone and I have a choice of all the posts, or only the posts I've made...

Absolutely ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I don't get it, why kill support for Tapatalk when your replacement app is unusable?

Seriously, I pull up the app, go to the Lounge and it's "congratulations, you're the first person here! Post something"

Then I go to the website on my phone and I have a choice of all the posts, or only the posts I've made...

Absolutely ridiculous.

I haven't used the new app (new since the htc evo days :p ) so I can't speak for that - but I wonder if it'd be easier all around for a mobile friendly site. It already looks pretty mobile friendly IMO based on the desktop site.

Upvote 0
The only place I've seen that is on profile statuses, and in near 7 years I've never used it.
Look at my post, and 9 to 5's post. Hadron also writes in paragraphs.

Then look at your own. 140 characters or less. That seems to be the norm for replies here now.

I don't use Twitter either, but I'm seeing reposts of Tweets in another forum.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
This stupid-ass iPhone my nephew NEEDED because peer pressure. He paid for it and picked it out on swappa but I tendered the transaction for him. It just got here so I figured I hook it up to wifi and give it a looky/bit of a set up before putting his SIM in. Umm. There apparently is no way to bypass the 'no SIM' screen. I've always hated Apple but I think I hate them even more after only three minutes. I have to learn how to use the stupid thing so I can help him. UGH

Reactions: tube517 and olbriar
Upvote 0
This stupid-ass iPhone my nephew NEEDED because peer pressure. He paid for it and picked it out on swappa but I tendered the transaction for him. It just got here so I figured I hook it up to wifi and give it a looky/bit of a set up before putting his SIM in. Umm. There apparently is no way to bypass the 'no SIM' screen. I've always hated Apple but I think I hate them even more after only three minutes. I have to learn how to use the stupid thing so I can help him. UGH
I doubt you will need to teach him. I think children are born with smartphone knowledge now.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I doubt you will need to teach him. I think children are born with smartphone knowledge now.
You're probably right. I will get him all set up when I get over there and pop his SIM in then he's on his own. I'll be sure to not activate iMessage 'cause we all know what cluster____ that is!

Upvote 0
Please restore my faith in humanity. I'm struggling to find anyone to do a gardening job I have, and dealing with so-called professionals is gradually wearing me down. The people I've approached so far fall into 3 categories:-

1. Complete time wasters
2. People who don't know what they're doing
3. People who quote stupid amounts of money for the job

Admittedly it's a relatively large area - 225 sq. metres, needing land drainage, top soil clay excavation to 1 foot, and disposal of waste, followed by ground preparation, new top soil, and re-turfing. At this point I'm going to get my spade out and start digging it myself.

Let me tell you about some joker who we lined up to do this work, and falls into the complete time waster category. He came round to have a look, and quoted a very competitive price for the work. I said are you sure, and he confirmed the price. So we agreed to go ahead and let him start on Monday. I noticed that over the weekend he posted on Facebook, asking for general advice on where to get the cheapest perforated pipe for land drains. Oh-oh, not a good sign I thought. So come Monday, he turns up with a mate, who I assume took one look at the area and said 'how much?! No chance!'. Net result is that they disappeared. I got a text message later, informing me that he wouldn't be going ahead with the job because the clay was deeper than he thought. The guy must have X-ray vision, because no test holes were dug. Annoying thing is, I would be prepared to negotiate the price, but no the spineless moron hides behind a text message to let me know. He could have knocked on the door and discussed it in person, which would obviously be the polite, and professional thing to do wouldn't it?

This is the culmination of weeks dealing with gardening contractors who waste my time. In the process I've actually got a very good idea of what's to be done, so I'm thinking of hiring a mini-digger and doing this job personally. Hell, might be fun.

Upvote 0
A family member was injured this morning and taken to the hospital.
I've been sitting in waiting rooms for something like eight hours now, and will likely be here for another three or four.
No idea if the family member will be staying in hospital or if I'm supposed to somehow take them home.
uh oh :( Not a good thing, sorry but hope everything pans out ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones