• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rapid battery drain right after charge

Does anyone else notice pretty fast battery drain right after unplugging it? For example this morning I charged it , made sure it reached 100%, then unplugged. Not even 3 minutes later and its down to 97%. At 8 minutes its down to 93%. This without even doing anything besides turning it on and checking the battery level. Once the level dropped about 90% it seems to steady off a little bit. Now I'm at 1h 10m and 85% battery with barely any use. I just installed Juice Defender to see if it will help. Yes, I have 4G on and a pretty strong signal, but I am not doing anything with the phone.
This is my 2nd Nexus, replacing my original that had some bluetooth issues. For some reason I was getting much better battery life with the original.
Not really sure how to attach these screenshots, so sorry if its wacky.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-01-12-11-20-57.png
    Screenshot_2012-01-12-11-20-57.png
    55 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_2012-01-12-11-21-03.png
    Screenshot_2012-01-12-11-21-03.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 73
I was running with the extended battery for some time, but didn't really notice a difference from the stock. And it did the same thing. So now back to using the stock battery and went through 3 full charging cycles before posting this. I also reset the battery statistics after the first full charge. Its just frustrating that it will drop percentages so quickly. Almost tempted to swap out the phone again before the 15th, but dont want to go through the hassle of relocking the bootloader, returning to stock, and then setting up a new phone from scratch.

Upvote 0
Most likely just a quirk in the battery reporting. My experience with battery level reporting is it is based on the voltage it sees from the battery. This is why calibrating it the first time is so important, as it learns what is the peak voltage and what is the cutoff voltage. It is very possible that when you take the battery off the charger, the voltage may settle a little, and that is why it seems like it loses 10% of the battery so quickly.

Upvote 0
I was running with the extended battery for some time, but didn't really notice a difference from the stock. And it did the same thing. So now back to using the stock battery and went through 3 full charging cycles before posting this. I also reset the battery statistics after the first full charge. Its just frustrating that it will drop percentages so quickly. Almost tempted to swap out the phone again before the 15th, but dont want to go through the hassle of relocking the bootloader, returning to stock, and then setting up a new phone from scratch.

If you're already unlocked, you can install clockworkmod recovery, back it up, then copy the backup off the phone to your computer. Once you get a replacement, just unlock the bootloader again, flash clockworkmod recovery, copy backup to phone and restore. :)

Upvote 0
If you're already unlocked, you can install clockworkmod recovery, back it up, then copy the backup off the phone to your computer. Once you get a replacement, just unlock the bootloader again, flash clockworkmod recovery, copy backup to phone and restore. :)

Yeah, I have CWM and backups. Thing is, its a pain in the arse to restore the phone to stock, deal with the Verizon store to get the swap, and then get the new phone, apply the screen protector, condition the battery , etc. If others experience the same thing I mentioned then swapping would be pointless. But if nobody else does, then I might have to make the trip tomorrow...

Upvote 0
your battery life doesnt seem crazy to me but I get pretty crappy battery life myself. how bright is your screen? if it is set to auto-brightness and u were in a really bright area it would turn your brightness up all the way and hurt batt. i noticed that just setting brightness at 25% is good enough an extends life 1-2 hours for me.

how is your reception? how many Dbm? it seems to me the worse reception the faster the battery drains. maybe a good test would be to charge to 100 and then just leave completely idle overnight (resist turning screen on at all) with 4g on and see how many % an hour it drops on avg. see if the graph shows more of a drop in the beginning or if it is constant

was something running or syncing at the time? was your phone warm to the touch?

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones