• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Raptor vs. Velocity

Vmanisme

Android Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2010
Virginia
So with 2 ROM's out now everybody want's to know the "under-the-hood" benefits of both ROM's.
Both Velocity and Raptor report 6.8 MFLOPS with Linpack, no OC, just the Turbo. Testing battery on both, will let you guys know tomorrow.

-ILL RUN SOME SERIOUS STRESS TESTS ON BOTH ROM'S TO SEE WHICH ONE CAN HANDLE MORE RESOURCE USE BEFORE A BUNCH OF FORCE CLOSES POP-UP OR PHONE STARTS FREEZING.

My opinion:
In my opinion Velocity is snappier but I'll post more on this by tomorrow so check back!

Must vary by phone. I was unable to use overclocking with Velocity 0.2 or 0.3 and had random reboots all the time even running it without turbo or overclocking. My phone often seemed very warm to me too. With Raptor, my phone is fast, stable and runs cooler too. I've tried using the turbo and was successful in running for hours overclocked to 787 and still running much cooler than I did with Velocity. I ended up not using turbo or overclocking because Raptor truly runs very fast without it. Finally, there were a few apps, Kindle for Android for one, that would not run for me under any version of Velocity but run perfectly fine under Raptor. I don't pretend to understand why but I sure am glad! So Raptor is the better of the 2 for my particular phone.

Aren't we lucky to be blessed with 2 great ROMs!!!

Upvote 0
Just installed this rom last night. I was using Velocity .3 with turbo 4 installed. was getting constant reboots like 5-7 a day and was running hot. (Was running at 600mhz. One velocity .2 I could run 787 stable). My first impression is that it is a slick rom it is snappy it is missing some features that were I liked in velocity such as the auto hide ads. I haven’t installed turbo 4 on it yet it seems to be really responsive and have not had any reboot issues yet. may install turbo 4 to see if that was causing the reboot issues. Over all I have to say this is a pretty good rom will have to use it for a week or so before I can make a decision on which one to use.

Upvote 0
My fav option from Raptor is still Quick Boot

No more having to perform a Vulcan Mind meld on your Phone. LOL:D

I think that for now though I will stick with Velocity. but..... i am still flirting with Raptor on the side. Ha ha;)

Switcher PRO lets you reboot to recovery or bootloader from a widget, it also allows you to put up a whole myriad of other tools.

Saying quick boot is your favorite option is a little ridiculous, you can get that app fro free of the market and use it with ANY rom. There are also tonnes of other apps that do the same thing

Upvote 0
Switcher PRO lets you reboot to recovery or bootloader from a widget, it also allows you to put up a whole myriad of other tools.

Saying quick boot is your favorite option is a little ridiculous, you can get that app fro free of the market and use it with ANY rom. There are also tonnes of other apps that do the same thing

Um thanks I think.:(

Upvote 0
I gave Raptor a try but I'm back to V0.3. No real reason for the switch though, and I have nothing bad to say about Raptor, I don't want to discourage anyone from using it. I'm just used to Velocity at this point I guess. Having another ROM option is great though so everyone should give both a try and encourage the developers and help them with constructive feedback.

Upvote 0
I tried Raptor, but I switched back to Velocity v0.3 very quickly. I just felt like I was using a cheap knockoff of Velocity when running Raptor, but I will just consider that the side effect of comparing a v0.3 to a v0.1....Raptor has potential, if it uses a % battery meter, gets a less annoying boot animation, removes ads, and uses LauncherPro as default. Just my opinion, and yes, I know I can change manually to LauncherPro, get a % battery icon on notification bar, and whatnot other changes, but I feel comfortable with my layouts on Velocity and don't feel like starting from scratch again. It would be nice if you could switch from one to the other without dealing with starting from clean slates each time (unless you have a nandroid backup for either)

Upvote 0
My 2 cents... I've been using Raptor .1 for a few days. So far, I have had zero automatic reboots and 1 kernel panic. The Music Widget crashed once on me. Other than that, this ROM is very clean and runs great. My only complaints are the status bar icons should all be the same color. Don't forget about the alarm clock icon for those of us who use it. Can the 3G be changed too??

The battery meter doesn't seem to match up correctly. Maybe this is my flashing issue and not the ROM.

Velocity is extremely polished and runs very good. Someone mentioned an unfair comparison between a Version 3 and 1, so I'll say that Raptor .2 may be very powerful since it's starting off so nice.

However, Velocity still has the edge and Trident's posts with all the files needed is professional as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones