1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Xyro, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42
    Moderator Thread Starter

Yesterday I picked myself up a Raspberry Pi. I was wondering if anyone else around here has one, and what they're using them for?

I'm mostly getting it with the non-specific plan of tinkering, and trying to teach myself a bit of Python.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Me and two other guys are experimenting with a few projects with rasberry pi. I'm not fluent in any language and have been trying to learn a little myself. We are working on that Billion dollar money maker project lol

Mostly like you though we are just tinkering. My only frustration is I still put in yum instead of apt-get because i'm a fedora /opensuse user.

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42
    Moderator Thread Starter

So far I've just stuck Rapbian on there, set it up so I can SSH into it over my network and messed around a little with Python. I've actually been trying codeacademy.com too, which is quite nice as they have a in-browser terminal emulator for their lessons.

argedion likes this.
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

thanx for the link :)

5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I've got one for a project that I still haven't had time to assemble (though I *think* I have all the components I need). My goal is to use the Pi + a webcam to make my garage door a bit smarter, be able to automatically open/close it when I turn onto/off of my street.

Until I get time to assemble that, though, I've just got it running an SSH server for my house in case I need remote access for whatever reason.

argedion likes this.
  6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Awesome Idea

7. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

argedion likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Mine's currently sitting unobtrusively under my TV, working as a media player, running Kodi. Got a little IR receiver plugged in, and the TV remote programmed to control it. Perfect!