1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Rattle when shaking phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by happyarthur79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. happyarthur79

happyarthur79 Member

Hi,

So I got my S5 last week and immediately noticed a rattle from the camera lens area when shaking the phone slightly and pressing the top part of the screen. It sounds like something inside the phone is loose and rattling around.
    I returned the phone to the large UK retailer I purchased it from and exchanged it for another unit.
    Unfortunately the rattle is also present in the new phone so I phoned Samsung UK for some advice.

Samsung are not aware of the rattle.

They said that it shouldn't sound like something is loose inside the phone.

I have since discovered that if the camera application is open the rattle disappears so it's something to do with the camera.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I can live with this - I have 30 days to return my phone so I am seeing how it goes.

I am really annoyed that after forking out £550 for Samsung's flagship phone I'm expected to put up with this annoying rattle that feels like the phone hasn't been screwed together properly.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

No rattles in my phone regardless of apps open or not.

3. Avera6

Avera6 Well-Known Member

I also noticed a rattle in my phone when I slightly shake it,it also goes away when I open the camera app

4. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Totally normal. All S5's have that characteristic. You really have to go out of your way to even notice it. But if it bothers you too much just return it and get an M8. Good luck with that camera though.

5. happyarthur79

happyarthur79 Member

Totally normal for a brand new phone to sound like it's been screwed together by 3 year olds? I don't think so. As I stated I have spoken to Samsung UK and they told me there should be no rattle at all.

Another annoyance is the batter cover creaking - although this isn't much of a problem if you keep your phone in a case.

I can't imaging the M8's camera being much worse than the S5's - perfectly fine in bright outdoor light but absolutely rubbish in any low light conditions.

6. Avera6

Avera6 Well-Known Member

I took my phone to a nearby dealer and had it compared to one of their phones and it also had the rattle,it is annoying once your aware of it.I'm going to go by a corporate store and try it again.It almost feels as if they rushed these phones out

7. jmatteis

jmatteis Well-Known Member

Mine does this too, and definitely gone when the camera app is active and the lens is active. I had a previous smart phone that did the same thing, can't remember if it was a Samsung or my HTC...

8. Ziani

Ziani Android Expert

Mine rattles as well....took it back to phones4Us, they checked theirs and that rattled as well. After seeing this I tried the camera and it did not rattle, weird.

9. Sharkiesha

Sharkiesha Lurker

Mine rattles as well. It's one day old and also has fairly major lens damage, I'm positive I didn't cause the damage. I'm waiting for advice in my thread now. So is that rattling normal or not?

10. SporkLover

SporkLover Android Enthusiast

Probably just just autofocus components. Not engaged until the camera is turned on via the app.

11. WIZKID55

WIZKID55 Newbie

I also notice the rattle, but when you open the camera up its stops............... Wow strange should i be worried?

12. Calisa

Calisa Lurker

Same with mine though pretty faint - didn't even realize until I saw threads on it.

I found another post that said, "This sound is normal and part of the stabilization for the lens.. Without this photos would be blurrier. One that did not rattle would be defective."

13. Bobbyf26

Bobbyf26 Lurker

Im having this exact problem should I be worried people?

14. Calisa

Calisa Lurker

No. This sound is normal and part of the stabilization for the lens.. Without this photos would be blurrier. One that did not rattle would be defective

15. PainFX

PainFX Newbie

Wow. Mines stop rattling after turning camera on. Weird

16. Drunder40

Drunder40 Well-Known Member

Just checked mine and same thing.. Not a real loud rattle but it is definately there when I shake the phone.

I believe the reason why it stops when the camera is active is due to the image stabilization mechanism. Not powerd up it is loose or in standby but once the camera app is activcated, power is applied to the image stabilization locking it in place for possible use.

Just a guess but In the Navy we had image stabilazation binoculars. They too would make a slight rattle but once you clicked the stabilization switch, it stopped.

Just a thought

17. jmatteis

jmatteis Well-Known Member

Mine has had that rattle from day one as well, and the camera takes great pics in any of the light or lack thereof I have thrown at it.

Aren't the phones all manufactured in Hong Kong? Samsung UK would merely be an office that creates the supply, etc... possibly deals as a middle man for issues, and MAY be aware of some things, but unless dealing directly with the manufacturing team, you may not get the answers you seek.
    I had a digital SLR that did the same thing, the lens had a very slight rattle, sounded the same, and when I powered on the camera, you'd here something move/engage and the rattle was gone.
    There are other threads here suggesting the same, that it has something to do with autofocus, or image stabilization.

18. I even have a slight rattle after the camera is turned on!
    Is that normal?

19. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

I never noticed this before but yes if I shake my phone I hear a slight noise but not when the camera app is open. I have to put it up to my ear to notice it though. I don't hear it while doing all the normal things on my phone so never noticed it until it was pointed out and I tested it. Mary

20. Do you hear the noise with the camera app turned on when you take your phone close to ear? Like when the camera app is turned on you have to shake a bit harder.. and you have to be in a real quite environment... its a slight noise when the camera is turnd on!is that happening with anyone?

21. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

Mine makes no noise with camera app on and up to my ear while shaking it in a quiet room. Mary

22. Rtmac

Rtmac Lurker

FWIW, my wife and I bought identical phone last week, mine rattles much louder than her's (both only with the camera off)... She never would have noticed if I hadn't checked to see if it rattled, too.

23. Ayesha_Ali

Ayesha_Ali Lurker

My Samsung note 3 is 5 days old and I just noticed it rattles from the camera side I guess when I slightly shake it also when camera app is on does anybody know is this a problem or what ??? Help

24. Arneldan

Arneldan Lurker

Okay folks. If you hear the rattling sound while the camera app is off you should not worry. You should worry if its not rattling.

The rattling sound was produced by the optical image stabilization mechanics that only active when being used and thats the reason why the sound is gone/lower when the camera app is on.

Good day

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.