1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Rattling Around Camera

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by porcelain, Dec 20, 2011.

1. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Are any of you experiencing a rattling around the camera on the back of the phone? Since day one my phone has made a tiny rattle when tapped on that area and when I sit the phone down.

Searching online tells me this is a problem that has happened with a variety of phones. It's said to be a camera's auto-focus shutter (from what I've read).

But how many of you have this issue with the Galaxy Nexus? Should I be concerned it's a sign something might break in the future? Should I get a replacement? Or should I be safe to keep this one?

Edit:
    The more I look into this, the more common it seems. I have found complaints about this from a bunch of websites discussing various phones from the Nexus One, to Blackberry, to the iPhone. It seems like it's a normal thing and the camera operates fine, so I don't think there's any issue. At least not yet.

I even came across a poll from last year on XDA where a majority of people experienced the same camera rattle in their phones: Poll: Does your phone rattle when tapped near the camera?

Advertisement

2. Squark

Squark Newbie
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    My first Nexus had it, as does my second (exchanged for an unrelated problem). I also tapped one in the store and it had the same rattle. Since all of the ones I've handled have it, I think it's normal.

porcelain likes this.
  3. triplejnj

triplejnj Member
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Mine does the same thing and I found the same search results you did. Was going to stop at a VZ store and start knocking the back of the display to see if it does it. Not sure how normal it is as I don't see many mentioning it. My OG Droid lead brick never made any type of rattle.

porcelain likes this.
  4. Squez

Squez Lurker
    None

May 2, 2010
    Twin Cities
    Mine does the same thing and I thought something was wrong with the camera, but it turns out it was the SIM card for me. If I hold down the spot where the SIM card is and shake it, it no longer rattles.

5. TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    My Nikon lenses have an internal image stabilizer which makes a rattling sound, I wonder if it's something like that.

I'm waiting for my phone right now, come on FedEx!!! I just watched a CNN report showing videos of FedEx delivery guys throwing packages from long distances onto the porch or out of the truck; I sure hope they don't do that with my phone. One video showed a FedEx guy tossing a large flat screen over a gate because he was to lazy to ring the bell. :eek:

Sorry, back to the OP.:D

6. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Army
    Maryland
    My first nexus rattled in the back somewhere when i shook it.

Returned for different reason and new one does not rattle. My incredible rattled too.

7. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks for letting me know! I haven't seen anyone really mention it with this phone. But I've definitely seen it mentioned with a variety of other phones (iPhones, Nexus One, etc.).

My OG Droid didn't rattle either, but it seems like this happens with a lot of phones.

8. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Hmm. I was wondering if the SIM card was rattling for some reason, but never checked it. I'll have to try it and see what happens. My phone doesn't rattle if you shake it though. You only hear the rattle if you actually tap on the camera area or when you place the phone on a table.

9. Romparoo

Romparoo Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 13, 2010
    Investment Banker
    Arizona
    I have a slight faint rattle, but it is the volume rocker, only noticable when I hold it up to my ear. If I lightly place my finger on the volume there is no rattle.

10. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I had the rattle and the vzw guy told me it was on every phone. I called BS and asked some friends. None of them had it. Went back and got a replacement, no rattle. If it doesn't seem right then it probably isn't. Return it.

11. Romparoo

Romparoo Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 13, 2010
    Investment Banker
    Arizona
    A quick Google search "galaxy nexus rattling" I found this..

Little bit of rattle in my gnex

For those of you who think it is the camera, try lightly touching the volume rocker and see if you still have the rattling.

12. RazorSharp

RazorSharp Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Male
    Boston, MA
    Umm, nothing in my phone rattles, and it would probably make me quite nervous. I'd suggest a return if anything is rattling.

13. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Unfortunately, it's not my volume rocker. It's definitely coming from the camera/top right of the phone (when you're looking at the back).

Thanks for the info though. I wish it was just the volume rocker rattling!

14. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    I guess I'll stop by VZW and see if I need to get a replacement. Since the phone only makes the rattling noise when it's actually tapped, I wasn't too worried about it. But I'm a little concerned about it possibly being an issue in the future.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone!

15. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Well, I figured I would see about getting a new GNex to put an end to the rattling madness. I called tech support and was told it's not normal and to go to a store and get a replacement.

Went to a Verizon corporate store. The manager insisted the rattling was coming from the SIM card slot. If I hold down the SIM slot, the phone still rattles when tapped. I really think it's coming from the camera. But anyway, Verizon would not give me a replacement.

Also, the rep brought out a brand new Nexus. It rattled.

16. triplejnj

triplejnj Member
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Its not the sim card, but definately something in the camera. I was at the vz store today and played with 3 different nexuses. All of them had the same springy rattle sound when you knock in the camera area. Not going to worry about it anymore.

17. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Oh, I definitely didn't think it was the sim card. The manager just kept insisting it was and wouldn't consider anything else I said. :rolleyes:

I didn't notice a rattle on the display unit at VZW. But like I said, the rep brought out a new phone and that one rattled too. So I guess some rattle and some don't. Mine has definitely gotten louder though. :(

18. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Insist, that's what I did. The csr told me it was on all phones and I went back when he wasn't there. They brought out another phone and it didn't rattle. I called vzw, told them to put in the notes I wanted a new one, went back to the store and got one. No rattle any longer. Make them pull out every one until you get one that doesn't. For $600 you should do that.

19. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Yeah, I'm definitely going back tomorrow and maybe the manager won't be around. Better to insist and get a new one now before it gets worse.

Hopefully I can get this straightened out tomorrow.

20. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Called tech support again, in hopes I could resolve this issue over the phone as opposed to dealing with the people in my local corporate Verizon store. The tech support rep told me that my store has to replace the phone because I'm still within my 14-day return period. I told her my store wouldn't give me a replacement, so she called the store.

She got back on the phone with me and seemed to change her tune. She told me it's the sim card rattling (don't think so). And she said my local store will exchange the phone ONLY if the phone rattles without even being touched OR if I get a device other than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The rep told me my only other option was to contact Samsung. She also claimed that she and the person she talked to from my local store checked a few of the phones and all of them rattled.

So, it looks like I'm completely out of luck with my local store. I'll either have to live with the rattling or try going to another store.

21. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Just an FYI, prob too late for you, but if you call vzw don't ever have them call the store. Just have them put it in your notes and then go to the store yourself. Tell them you want a replacement (or whatever it is you have placed in the notes) and to please just check the notes. They will and abide by what's in there.

Crashumbc likes this.
  22. porcelain

porcelain Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Maryland
    Actually, the first time I called tech support, a note was made on my account that I needed a replacement device. However, my corporate store ignored that. :(

The person from tech support I talked to today told me this shouldn't be happening and that my store should automatically give me a replacement since I'm within my 14-day return period. So, the only reason she called the store was to find out what was going on and why they weren't acknowledging that I need a replacement. I never asked her to call the store or anything. In fact, I'd prefer Verizon just mailed me a replacement.

Ughhh. This is more of a pain than it needs to be.

23. NextNexus

NextNexus Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Yah, same here.

Still debating if I should go through the hassle of exchanging it for a new one..

Tags: