• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help RAZR M Frequently Drops GPS Signal

TallMonke

Lurker
Nov 9, 2012
When using Google Navigation, I get a VERY frequent drops in the GPS signal causing the navigation to have ~20 second gaps in the map directions (missed a few turns!) and eventually giving the "Lost GPS Signal" message.

After reading on a couple other forums, I read a post suggesting downloading the GPS Essentials app. Once I run the app, viewing the satellites and switching back to Google Navigation, the GPS drops stop and everything works flawlessly. I feel that the GPS Essentials updates the GPS connection more frequently than Google Navigation, which is causes the better updates.

Has anyone else had this problem? I dont feel that I should have to run a second app JUST to get the navigation to work.

Does anyone think the update to Jelly Bean will fix anything?

Any thoughts in this mass of questions!?

GPS seems to be working. Motorola support said to reboot the phone and turn on outside. The chip uses the initial startup to acquire the "default" satelites to connect to and then uses those default locations as a basis for quicker connection from that point on.

So far, I have not had any issues since that restart, but only time will tell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones