1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Razr M OTA Update Block

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kontinroid, Jan 28, 2014.

1. kontinroid

kontinroid Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I can not seem to get success with blocking OTA updates. I have been hitting Install Later for the 98.18.94 update for over a month and I would like to stop as well as have the knowledge to stop future ones and take them when I want to.

I am currently on 98.18.78.xt907.verizon.en.US (Razr M) and it wants me to take 98.18.94. SuperSU installed, VooDooOTA and to get rid of this OTA notification I installed Autorun Manager. I disabled SystemUpdateService$Receiver and tried to clear the cache, but I was not sure what applications cache to clear (cleared Google Paly Store, Google+ and Google Play Services). I re-booted after that.

I am planning to take the OTA (when I want to and hopefully get back root with VooDoo) but wanted to make sure I know how to block OTA Updates with this one.

I don't need to go too far into customization, but I want control over my OS.

Any help by sharing success stories and specifics would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Next time you get the notification, long-press it. You should get a "App info" button. Press that. You'll be in Application manager for the app that made the notification. Clear its cache and clear its data, It's not a permanent fix but it'll stop the notifications for a while.

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums. This thread was moved to the sub-forum where this root-ed phone is discussed.

... Thom

kontinroid likes this.
  4. kontinroid

kontinroid Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    Hm, I waited until the request came up again this morning and held on the 'Install Later' for about 20 seconds and nothing changed until I let off and it went to the home screen as usual.

5. kontinroid

kontinroid Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks to everyone's input here and on the other thread that got be started (Block OTA update, is it Possible?).

I got my phone where I want it. I used AR Manager and stopped the two under Updater. Updater.UpdateReceiver and updater.UpgradeerReceiver. This stopped the 12 hour nag. Once I was confident I could do that, I made a Nandroid. I then turned those two receivers back on, made sure VooDoo thought it could restore root and took the 98.18.94. After it booted back up VooDoo did it's job and I was still rooted. Confirmed by desired apps able to run.

We will see what to do when/if the next update comes.

I thanked all that helped me, but I want to thank all and those I missed again now. Great community. I hope I can help in the future.

It seems like a small thing, but having a little control over a device makes a good thing great!:D