• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Razr MAXX is bricked, won't boot. DRU18 fails too!

My "Motorola Factory Cable" arrived yesterday. It worked. I let it sit with the Fastboot menu displayed for about an hour to warm the battery up.
Next I ran the UnbrickXT912Jellybean.bat task. Choice 1 (the only choice on the menu) also ran correctly. No error messages of any kind. I have watched a LOT of these run, and this time seemed entirely regular.

This morning I realized that the "Factory Cable" was not charging the phone after the fastboot activity so I plugged in the regular charger. The red M logo came on and stayed on for the entire time on the charger (~3 hours).
When I disconnected the charger the red M logo remained on. The battery must have taken some charge.
I tried to power down with the power button (short and long presses) with no result.
The power-and-volume-down button combo did work. The red M logo went away.

My next task was to get recover going and apply the OTA JB update. BUT I could not power up:
- Pressing/holding all three buttons did nothing.
- A very long press of the power button yielded a green bar about 2/3 of the way down the screen and about 1/4 inch high. It flashed on very briefly and was gone.
- Pressing/holding all three buttons again did nothing again.
- Short- and long-pressing the power button did nothing.

I plugged the charger cable back in.
The red M logo came on.
Power off/volume down (two-button press) turned it off but it came right back on and froze at the red M logo.
I got the AP Fastboot menu to display by doing a two-button press followed immediately with a three-button press.
I highlighted the Recover choice and pressed volume up.
The phone booted to the red M logo and froze again.
Sigh.

I gave up.
So. Is it over?

:+(

Upvote 0
Looks like I'm going to get my Mulligan. :+)
I went to VZW to ask if they had a re-initialize service, for which I would pay. They said "No" but after checking my purchase date they found the phone to still be in warranty. So I'm getting a replacement.
Thanks to all who chipped in to get my head at least partly straight!
-BTW-
Sealed 'phone oddity:
Ain't it interesting that there seems to be no way for them to find any info about the phone when it's really dead. No label under the battery that they can get to. I coulda brought in ANY bricked Razr MAXX.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones