1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Razr Maxx vs GNEX: Battery life vs ICS

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Duckstyle187, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Duckstyle187

Duckstyle187 Newbie

Ready to make a purchase tomorrow and still can't decide between the two. Everything points me towards the Galaxy Nexus(ICS, slightly better screen) except the battery, which is why I'm strongly considering the Maxx. I work in a huge building the has intermittent signal loss, and I know from talking to friends, that it kills 4G phones. Can anyone with experience with both phones give me an idea of the kind of real-world battery life they get with a Galaxy Nexus(with or w/out the extended battery) and/or Razr MAxx?
    Most posts I see about this turn into a flame war and it's hard to tell who's lying more about how awesome their phone is compared to the other "inferior" phone only idiots would buy.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Razr Maxx easy choice. Battery is more important of an issue because the Maxx will get an ICS update in a few weeks or months.

3. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

I've seen two approaches to battery life on the Galaxy Nexus: using 3G instead of 4G, and turning data off when the screen is off.

4. adeathnote

adeathnote Newbie

Tough call. The build of the Maxx is crazy. And it will get ics in the future. I'd lean towards Maxx.

5. ahmeny

ahmeny Newbie

regardless of the inferior screen and shitty moto not so blur?

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The screen is only inferior when compared to another AMOLED. Personally I'm not a fan of punchy colors which AMOLEDs are known for. I like them a little more natural. The screen is great and good enough for most people, and is IMO not really a deal breaker. Blur can be resolved by just getting another launcher and third party widgets. You don't need to use Blur any more than you have to.

Plus the OP did not mention if Blur is an issue for him.

7. alamoe

alamoe Android Enthusiast

By the time the Razr gets ICS the GNexus will be getting Jellybean.

8. dbx64

dbx64 Member

It all comes down to it... What do you really care about. Being a nerd and having the latest and greatest technology, or would you rather have a phone SUITED for your lifestyle.

I'd LOVE a phone that can assure 100% battery life. I'm sure both phones are great pieces of technology. Would you rather be a happy user with great battery life and flash a custom rom to accomodate motoblur? Or would you rather be a geek and use Google's technology??!?!?!

Personally, if I'd buy another phone today, I'd be in your boat too, deciding on which phone... The razr or the g. nexus.

9. xanok

xanok Newbie

I would say GNEX. Avoid that MotoBlur crap and enjoy vanilla Android.

aysiu likes this.
  10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

People that have owned both report in our forums that the RAZR gives superior radio performance. If you're working with a coverage issue, definitely something to pay attention to.

ICS for the RAZR is coming later this year.

If in doubt, try one of your choices for a few days, and return it for the other if not really satisfied.

dan330 likes this.
  11. Kicksilver

Kicksilver Android Enthusiast

Either way you can't go wrong.

12. Duckstyle187

Duckstyle187 Newbie

Ended up getting the Galaxy Nexus. After using them both in the store, the Nexus just seemed like the better phone/gadget. And I think once you've used ICS, going back to Gingerbeard just isn't an option. The Maxx is definitly a solid phone, and I'm sure on days when my battery is dead by noon I'll regret my choice....but only for a second.

13. Kicksilver

Kicksilver Android Enthusiast

The battery will do just fine, as long as you see it as a mobile computer, not just a cell phone.

14. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

I think you'll find that the battery on the Nexus will last longer than you think. I use my phone a lot and I'm getting 13 to 15 hours of use out of it on average. The only times I run into problems is when I find myself in an area that has very limited coverage, but this is true for all phones.

15. DroidDavi

DroidDavi Well-Known Member

Lets all remember that the cdma galaxy nexus isn't a Google supported device. Who knows how long it will be foe those updates

16. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

It actually is a Google supported device. It also has updates for 4.0.4 available, whereas the GSM version is still on 4.0.3.

For more details, read Google Issues Statement Regarding CDMA Nexus Devices:

17. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

Not being a developer device is different from not being a supported device.

aysiu likes this.
  18. tacticool777

tacticool777 Newbie

I'm actually at the same crossroad myself. It sucks!!