1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Razr upgrade, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bryan.allen, Jan 3, 2012.

1. bryan.allen

bryan.allen Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    I have a Bionic which is terrible. After many attempts from VZW to fix, they are offering me a Razr as a replacement. I figured you guys would know best. Ive read reviews and specs on it but you guys actually have used it and know what its capable of.

Coming from the Bionic, I know itll be an upgrade but this is pretty much the last thing VZW is going to do to satisfy this customer. If this phone craps out, im pretty much stuck with it for the life of my contract. Is there anything you guys can tell me to help make this decision easier?

Basically they said they can offer me any device but the Nexus. I really feel like if I pressed hard enough I could get that device, given I have a moto device now that has absolutely ruined their reputation with me. I told him I did NOT want another moto device but I understand its supposed to be a better phone.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement

2. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Windows System Admin
    South
    Not sure of the problems you've been having, and why they aren't offering you another Bionic, but take the Razr and run. I love mine. I waited months and months for the Bionic, went to the store twice to check it out and decided the screen was horrible. Then I waited months for the Nexus! Well, went to the store and saw the Razr a few times and couldn't resist.

3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Like Don says, take it run! :)
    You'll love it.

4. AeroEngi

AeroEngi Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I gotta agree with the rest of the guys. Get the RAZR...I love mine!

5. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    Take the RAZR and run. It is the best phone I have ever owned and close to perfect for everything I need in an Android smart phone.

6. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    I've had mine for almost a week... Finally can put it down for more than an hour at a time... It really is an amazing device. This is my third Android phone and there is no comparison between this and the others. The screen is phenomenal, ZERO lag, and battery life has been pretty good for a very powerful processor. I have no qualms and will be happy to keep it for the remainder of my contract. I think you would do well to trade the bionic in for the razr.

7. rnlcomp

rnlcomp Android Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2011
    Jump all over that deal, I have had my razr for a month and still can't put it down for very long. :D

Best (everything) phone I've ever owned.

8. Fred Bassett

Fred Bassett Member
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    You are a Noob on XDA-Developers - YouTube

XDA have it right with this video. A quick look at the threads will answer the OP's ? He may not be a noob but the videos still relevant lol

9. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Maybe for their own site but certainly not here. Android Forums doesn't differentiate between experienced and novice users, and expects its members to behave likewise. Any form of elitism is unwelcome here.

And a quick answer would save him the bother. Please re-read the Site Rules, especially the part about not requiring a search before posting a question.

Szadzik and jroc like this.
  10. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    ............. OP a trick question? ;)

11. bryan.allen

None

Aug 6, 2010
    I actually did read some threads but regarding my rare offer from vzw, i thought a thread was warranted. Im not signing a new contract....just getting a free trade. I pressed hard for the nexus just because i had such bad experiences with the moto bionic. The rezound sucks imo. That leaves the razr or fight for the nexus. The reason for the nexus not being available to ne was them not having any certified pre owned yet. Sigh....

Thanks for the help though, i definitely feel better if i have to accept the razr.

Im interested to hear from anyone thats owned both the bionic and the razr. What are the main improvements?

12. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Android Enthusiast
    None

May 7, 2011
    Take that offer NOW, before they change their minds.

13. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Exactly.

14. BullyDawg

BullyDawg Member
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    1. Take the Razr. :)
    2. Run out of the store, laughing maniacally! :D
    3. Clutch your new prize close to you and repeat ... like a modern-day Gollum ... "My Precious!" ;)

Seriously, the Droid RAZR is the best phone I've ever owned. CNET just rated it the top phone of 2011. 'Nuff said.

15. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    I don't see anywhere in the thread where you described how the Bionic was 'terrible'. I would think it difficult to give a fair answer without understanding your issues.

It may very well be that the razr is not the right phone for you and another would be a better option. Btw if the issue is reception; did the recent firmware update help ?

16. bryan.allen

None

Aug 6, 2010
    Constant data drops. Phone randomly just go to a black screen. Since the patch.....phone randomly re boots at least 10 times a day. Sat there for 28 minutes this morning before i could get to work properly. Worst phone ive ever owned.

Im thinking of demanding the gnex. I appreciate your input on the razr, i just have ZERO faith in motorola now

17. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    If it constantly reboots that suggest a hardware issue or some app you downloaded misbehaving (I suppose it could be software or data corruption).
    -
    Anyways I woudl think a new bionic; razr or most any phone in proper working order would resolve the reboot issue (unless you are installing some misbehaving app).

Btw has verzion replaced this bionic with another ? Did you install some weird apps or root the phone and modify some system files ?
    -
    Anyways to answer the question directly if reboots is the issue than the razr is probably a good fix. The recent firmware release should have address connectivity issues. Can't guarantee the razr will be better here because you likely live in an area that is challenged.

18. bryan.allen

None

Aug 6, 2010
    This is the 4th bionic ive had. Im unrooted and no bad apps. Tried to leave it as stock as possible.

19. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Weird; esp the constant rebooting issue. I haven't had any reboot issues with the razr and haven't heard of anyone having reboot issues with the razr (either verizon or gsm version) on this forum or any of the other forums I've visited. So far the biggest (not in the spec such as sealed battery) negative is that the screen seems to be prone to shatter if dropped. I swear my friend used to drop his vibrant all day long and 'cept for a few scratches in the corner of the bezel no issues - so much for samsung cheap builds :) )

20. bryan.allen

None

Aug 6, 2010
    I thought it has "gorilla glass"?

21. ne0lyfeism

ne0lyfeism Android Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2010
    Male
    In the burbs of SEPA
    The SGN doesn't have Gorilla Glass. The Razr does.

And for what it's worth, the recent OTA update made a pretty significant difference in battery life for me. I can use the Razr for about 14-18 hours before needing to charge. Camera isn't too shabby either (it isn't the best, but it's better post OTA too).

22. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Gorilla glass is resistant to scratches; no clue on tensile strength relative to thickness.

23. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    A nice little video showing a fracture and flexibility test of Gorilla Glass.

Fun with Gorilla Glass - YouTube

24. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Just get the Razr and call it a day man.

25. bryan.allen

None

Aug 6, 2010
    exactly what I did. I hope it works out. I felt myself wanting to fight with VZW for the Nexus purely out of spite. They told me they don't have "certified pre owned" SGNs which is why they couldnt do it. They said they cant send me a new device because I am not sending them a "new device" back. That really pissed me off. I paid $299.99 for the Bionic in september and it had issues from day one. They never gave me a working new device. I also made it very clear how disappointed in Motorola I was. I sat around for 3 months with a crap phone waiting on this patch to fix the black screen, camera, and data problems. VZW kept saying it was Moto that was holding off on releasing the patch because they wanted to get it working perfectly first. They finally release the stupid thing and it somehow made my device worse. Rebooting, etc...

You guys seem to love the Razr so I feel pretty good about it. I just feel like I lost the fight with VZW.