• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RC29 not updating. In need of help.

TheonGrey

Lurker
Mar 8, 2009
Hello. I'm new to these forums so if there is a thread on this topic, a link would be much appreciated. As a little pre-req here, I'm 17 and am moderately tech savvy.

Anyway, I've been having this problem for weeks. I wanted root access to my phone so I could tether it to my laptop. So anyway, I followed a guide on reverting the update back to RC-29 so that I could then get root access by doing some application. So anyway, I did that and good root access and then decided I wanted to go back to the recent update. I tried the update that it prompts me with on the phone and it doesn't work. I decided that it was time to concert the web. I learned that I needed to do a manual update. I put it on my SD card and renamed the .zip and that. All things were in order, or so I though. I did the update and it says:

Installing from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(No such file or directory)
Installation Aborted

Press Home+Back to reboot

So I looked around for a solution and I can't find one. I've done this numerous times and wiped the SD card and tried a new SD card (the one it came with) and it still does not work.

To recap, I am trying to go from RC29 to RC30 so then I can get back to RC33. All I want is to have a regular phone back. I don't care about data or root access.

I would really appreciate the help if any can be given.

Thanks.

Okay, I went through all of that and verified that it was all correct according to your advice. I had this checked over by my father (IT Admin for the Gov't) and he says that I'm all in order. Now however, I'm getting a different message.

Installing form sdcard...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (173 files)
E:Verification failed
Installation aborted

Upvote 0
I made the same mistake of rooting, searched the tmo forum and found this.

Download Anycut from the market.
Click on new shortcut
Click on activity
Click on device
Scroll all the way down and keep clicking upgrade, after awhile it will say pending upgrade. 12 hours I clicked it and it started downloading 1.5. All's well now and no more rooting for me.

only need to click untill it says upgrade pending and the gov too sleep or work and after a few hours click again and see if it says downloading upgrade.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm in about the same place (phone reports same versions as the original posters does), but I cannot update. I get signature errors, trying to go to the official RC 30 (or much of anything else), and OTA donut updates go through several screens, but end up with the phone locked, forcing me to hit it with the dreaming.npb RC29 file again. I got my G1 a week ago, it had RC33, I downloaded an OTA donut image so I wouldn't have to wait......

Any thoughts, questions, tips, clues?

Following this,

http://www.getyourdroidon.com/wiki/index.php5?title=How_to_Un-root_your_G1

I am able to also install a factory boot loader for RC29, and I am using the RC29 to RC30 file, but I get

Installing from sdcard...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (173 files)
E:Verification failed
Installation aborted.

Any idea how to proceed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones