1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

RE: Android L and crap/bloatware

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Nidstang, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Nidstang

Nidstang Newbie

Interesting tidbit from Ars Technica:

Setup in Lollipop is also taking on the responsibility of pre-installed carrier apps (aka crapware) with a new feature called "Play Auto Install." Rather than permanently storing carrier apps on the system partition, which currently is the only way to have apps persist across device wipes, Play Auto Install will download carrier apps during the setup process. This will put them in the data partition and allow them to be completely uninstalled by users. The download process then allows carriers to change the apps they would like to preload on a device without having to issue a system update. Pre-installed apps on carrier-controlled devices are never going to go away, but with Play Auto Install, Google is giving both sides more options. Everyone wins

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Carriers are dicks. I think they will still install them on the system partition.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If you look at the implementation, I don't think Google gives Mickey Mouse's back pocket (a rat's .... etc. ;) ) about carrier bloat, but by doing this they preclude the necessity of full on OS updates from carriers and can push more from the play store. If carriers would put their launchers on the play store (ie. Sense, TW, Moto, etc.) then they wouldn't need to issue system updates at all, they could just roll it out through play.

codesplice likes this.
  4. MarianB

MarianB Newbie

While I agree, I think some of them might stop doing that just so they can say that they did something for the customer and brag about it.

5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Would it be foolish to hope that manufactures go along with this option when they upgrade their currently released phones to Lollipop?

6. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Some, but by no means all of my carriers "bloatware" had the option to install or not, although the way our networks implement and control bloatware and firmwares is already very different to the USA. This doesn't stop me being the optimist and hoping all of it can be an option.

7. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

Yes. Of course that would be foolish :p

It will still get loaded onto the partition but use play for updates (hooray!...?) Good for things like HTC since and touchwiz ect... Terrible for things like s note (which I am still yet to ever use, Photoshop is more fun lol). I mean we can turn off auto updates but then theres another thing we gotta do after downloading... Move to SD card, turn off auto updates install updates on some of the apps.. Delete or add it to the launcher.. Depending if yours does it automatically and if you want it there lol. Just IMO..