1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Re: Market App; "GpsFix"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dhend25, Apr 23, 2011.

1. dhend25

dhend25 Well-Known Member
    None

Has anyone tried market application, "GpsFix" to improve GPS performance on their Nexus S? And if so, did it help?

Thanks,

dh

Advertisement

2. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    Just tried it on second "fix" Jr locked onto exacr adress and casting! !!!

3. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    Removed it. Way to big almost 53kb

4. dog812

dog812 Newbie
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    :thinking: what is that guy talk about? 53kb too big?

2FR35H likes this.
  5. dhend25

None

Not exactly sure of what you are saying here? Could you please elaborate a little.

Thanks,

DH

6. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    Seems he can't elaborate since he has been banned for some reason. I'd imagine it's just a temporary ban.

7. frankkduf

None

Feb 17, 2011
    I tried it and its not helping my NS getting a faster or better gps fix

dhend25 likes this.
  8. dhend25

None

This a little off my original post, but this weekend I spent two days experimenting with my nexus s and GPS function. I found one very interesting, repeatable function. I purchased a really nice universal car mount from Amazon and attached it to the windshield of my car. I went inside my car and started the Navigation function on my phone. It kept searching for the GPS signal and location. went on for what seemed like forever, but at least 5 or 10 minutes.

I went ahead and put the phone in the cradle mount and started driving around. All I could get was an occasional voice prompt saying, "data connection lost". After about 20 minutes of this I went back home, but stayed in my car.

Then I decided to power off my phone and power back on. My phone immediately picked up the navigation signal and worked perfectly without failure the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday to multiple destinations.

It worked not only in my car, but in my house during the evening hours. This morning (Monday) I mounted it in my car for the trip to work and couldn't get it find a signal. Powered off then on, and I was back in business, worked perfectly all the way to work.

Also, what does it mean when all the bars go "white". It seems like when the nav isn't working all the bars and the 3g go to all white instead of green.

One more question, is powering the phone off and then on again, what most of you refer to as "Rebooting" ?

Thanks,

Dh

9. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

The bars and 3G go green when the phone is connected to Google. Seems that there is some signal issue here which is resolved by rebooting - correct term by the way.

I've had similar issues but never tried rebooting in the cradle, will give it a go.

10. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    You are correct powering off and on your phone is a reboot. And when all of the bars go white it means that your phone is not connected to data, whether it be 3G or wifi.

dhend25 likes this.
  11. frankkduf

None

Feb 17, 2011
    strange because sometimes they are white for me and I am downloading stuff or browsing the net and still white. I will try the reboot for the gps fix..

dhend25 likes this.
  12. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Usually i never have a connection when it's white. But on very rare occasions i do.

13. dhend25

None

Sorry if I misled you... I took my phone out of the cradle to reboot. Because of the way the cradle bracket holds the phone, it's very difficult to reboot while in the cradle. Once I had re-established the nav/GPS signal, I put it back into the cradle and it worked fine! Good luck, I hope it works for you.

dh

14. dhend25

None

Update on GPS tests - As stated in previous post gps worked this morning on trip to work after a standard reboot. Got in car after work today and got immediate gps/nav signal without needing to reboot. Placed phone in cradle and drove home approx. 8 miles with perfect gps guidance and without any loss of signal.

The pattern seems to be that it works for two days then requires a reboot. I'll know more tomorrow when I test again. It could also just be a random loss of signal. I'll know more as I continue to test.

Let me know if rebooting is of any help to any of you guys.

Thanks,

dh

Tags: