• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Re: PDANET on ths samsung epic 4g touch with Sprint

AlkiDweller

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2009
Seattle
Slug, a moderator, has closed the above mentioned thread because discussing something that would be a violation of Sprints TOS is not permitted.

I hope rooting is acceptable under the carrier TOS or half your site is going to disappear. I know it isn't acceptable for Virgin Mobile.

I can understand banning the discussion of pirating of apps, but isn't this going a little too far?

In the Sprint TOS...

Our Right To Suspend Or Terminate Services
We can, without notice, suspend or terminate any Service at any time for any reason. For example, we can suspend or terminate any Service for the following: (a) late payment; (b) exceeding an Account Spending Limit; (c) harassing/threatening/abusing/offending our employees or agents; (d) providing false or inaccurate information; (e) interfering with our operations; (f) using/suspicion of using Services in any manner restricted by or inconsistent with the Agreement and Policies; (g) breaching, failing to follow, or abusing the Agreement or Policies; (h) providing false, inaccurate, dated, or unverifiable identification or credit information or becoming insolvent or bankrupt; (i) modifying a Device from its manufacturer specifications (for example, rooting the device); (j) failing to use our Services for an extended period of time; (k) failing to maintain an active Device in connection with our Services; or (l) if we believe the action protects our interests, any customer's interests, or our networks.

Looks like you guys better remove the rooting section.

Upvote 0
ohsnap.gif

Upvote 0
Slug, a moderator, has closed the above mentioned thread because discussing something that would be a violation of Sprints TOS is not permitted.

Correct, in accordance with the wishes of the site owner.

I hope rooting is acceptable under the carrier TOS or half your site is going to disappear. I know it isn't acceptable for Virgin Mobile.

If that is indeed the case, then the decision rests with Rob Jackson, the owner of AF.

I can understand banning the discussion of pirating of apps, but isn't this going a little too far?

Not for me to say, as we lowly mods don't make the rules. However as you questioned AF policy in the public forum I'm sure Rob himself or Phases will want to answer the accusation. I'll make sure they are aware of this topic so that they can do so asap.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
Rooting, if against the TOS, could result in a suspended account. That is on you and your responsibility and we're willing to aide in letting you make that choice. It is your device, you should have that choice.

Tethering without a carrier required required plan is theft of services. You are stealing from the carrier. It goes beyond modifying your own personal device.

This is something we are not willing to help members do. Much like talk of how to work the system to return devices you've broke, etc. That too is theft.

These issues aren't related to rooting in this sense and shouldn't be compared as such. This is a decision made by the owner of this privately run site, which we have the right to do and enforce.

Risking your device == ok.
Theft == not okay.

Hope this clears things up a little. :)

edit: I'm going to put a note in the rules thread and touch on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones