• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Read only contacts

I had the "read only" contacts issue too but in my case, it was just a simple phone number with no name or other data associated with it. The number was listed about 20 times at the top of my contact list as if it were 20 different contacts. It had just appeared over the last week. I tried to delete the numbers 1 by 1 but I got that "read only" message. So, based on comments in this thread, I figured that it must be from some social networking app installed on my phone.

This got me to thinking about which social media I had been using recently. Then I realized that I had just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab for my mother and I had set up Skype on it and tested it with her. When doing this I had run in to some technical difficulties and noticed that Skype had even assigned me a phone number and listed me as a telephone contact instead of as a Skype contact on my mother's tablet. Furthermore, my mother's tablet has both her google account and mine on it so that I could install some of my paid apps on it for her. So things that happen on her tablet could definitely affect my phone.

So now, I figured that Skype had been messing with my account on my android phone and I just uninstalled it. Presto! All 20 or so of those strange disembodied phone contacts just disappeared.

I am not a big social networker and I often deactivate such apps when I find them on my devices but if you have this read only issue with a brand new phone, it is possible that there are native social networking apps already installed like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Skype, and others that are producing glitches on your device. Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling them (if you really want them) might help. Often, they have settings during installation such as "Import Contacts?" that might produce glitches like this.

Upvote 0
I use both gmail and Yahoo. I would like to be able to edit and or delete Yahoo contacts. They are read only. How can this be changed?
you need to make those contacts into google contacts if you would like that ability. Yahoo does not allow the editing of contacts from another service. You could edit them through the Yahoo android app though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones