• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Read only file system when trying adb push-htc one x+

rick2210

Lurker
Jan 16, 2014
I know this is a necro thread but I thought I would chime in for those that need help since this comes up as the top on google search for "Read-Only ADB push".

If you're running into this:
1. Make sure you are rooted with SuperUser of some type installed
2. On your machine with adb installed, do the following:
[HIGH]
--# adb devices
(make sure your device shows up)
--# adb root
(this restarts the adb daemon as root on the phone)
--# adb push blah bleh
(this should now run without issue)
[/HIGH]
You DO NOT need to remount the /system symlink with rw permissions. A lot of people will do this and forget to remount it back to ro permissions.

After submitting 'adb root' I get: adbd cannot run as root in production builds

After submitting 'adb root' I get: adbd cannot run as root in production builds

I haven't used this is quite a while, but I think it means that they have changed the adb rules and commands a bit since this thread was started (moved from Motorola Droid section, original thread from 2010). I believe a few things have changed with how to use adb since this thread was started.

Reactions: rick2210
Upvote 0
As far as I am concerned this thread can be closed. It was posted in response to something (as I previously stated) I read, I think, in this forum. I've come to find out that trying to find a solution to a problem can cause more problems sometimes than you had to begin with. Too many people writing junk without coming back and confessing it is junk.

Too many bits and pieces floating around with no conclusions drawn. I found out most of my problem was due to the fact I was not using the correct syntax on fastboot commands. On 'fastboot flash xxxxxxxx.img' I was leaving out the 3rd parameter 'fastboot flash system xxxxxxxxx.img'

Upvote 0
As far as I am concerned this thread can be closed. It was posted in response to something (as I previously stated) I read, I think, in this forum. I've come to find out that trying to find a solution to a problem can cause more problems sometimes than you had to begin with. Too many people writing junk without coming back and confessing it is junk.

Too many bits and pieces floating around with no conclusions drawn. I found out most of my problem was due to the fact I was not using the correct syntax on fastboot commands. On 'fastboot flash xxxxxxxx.img' I was leaving out the 3rd parameter 'fastboot flash system xxxxxxxxx.img'

Thank you for your input. Though the thread could maybe be closed, it will not be deleted.
It is unfortunate that folks come here to this section/thread as it is obvious to me (and probably you) that they are having problems with different makes or models of phones than the Motorola A855 Droid phone; the phone that this section and thread should relate to.

As in your case. We do not know what model of phone you are working with, but I do know that it is obviously not the Motorola A855 Droid as we never used any of the fastboot commands for it.

good luck

Upvote 0
Thank you for your input. Though the thread could maybe be closed, it will not be deleted. It is unfortunate that folks come here to this section/thread as it is obvious to me (and probably you) that they are having problems with different makes or models of phones than the Motorola A855 Droid phone; the phone that this section and thread should relate to.

As in your case. We do not know what model of phone you are working with, but I do know that it is obviously not the Motorola A855 Droid as we never used any of the fastboot commands for it.

good luck

My point exactly. Thanks. By the way I have an HTC ONE X+

Upvote 0
My point exactly. Thanks. By the way I have an HTC ONE X+

Well, then you may find your answers here in this section:

HTC One X Plus - Android Forums

or for subjects about rooted phones:

One X Plus - All Things Root - Android Forums

As I said, this section/thread you have posted a question in/looked for answers in is for a much older and different model phone. And while some things _may_ cross over, usually it is best to find your answers specific for your phone's make and model.

good luck

p.s. the only reason this section is not archived is because people people keep bumping the threads with questions not related to this model phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the two HTC One x Plus forum leads.

Just too bad hardly anyone specifies if their entry is for the international or the at&t version. Also find a lot of HTC One X stuff in some of these posting and elsewhere. Makes it tough to find antyhing when you have to read through 200 posts only to find they are not for your device.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the two HTC One x Plus forum leads.

Just too bad hardly anyone specifies if their entry is for the international or the at&t version. Also find a lot of HTC One X stuff in some of these posting and elsewhere. Makes it tough to find anything when you have to read through 200 posts only to find they are not for your device.

We hope that folks look to see what section they are posting in before posting and/or asking questions about their device, but it does not always happen. However, whenever we can, we staff here go ahead and move these posts to the correct device section to help keep things a bit more organized.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones