• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Read only file system

steveo225

Lurker
May 16, 2010
I am trying to push "build.prop" which I edited to get Netflix support. Note, phone is rooted.

At a cmd prompt: adb push C:\build.prop /system/
failed to copy 'c:\build.prop' to '/system//build.prop': Read-only file system

Tried: adb remount
remount failed: Operation not permitted

Tried: adb shell sysrw
sysrw: permission denied

I also tried editing the file through a root file system editor. Tried using standard *nix commands at a terminal editor after switching to su.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm not sure, cause I'm still quite nubuish with camands in the SDK, but I think you need to mount the system folder rw first

$ adb shell
$ su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Then try to push your file.

Some one more knowledgable please correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
FYI, the most possible reason that the 'su' command _might_ not have worked is that you need to check your phone the first time and see the pop-up asking for permission, just like the first time you run any other root app. Also, a tiny nit pick, it should be mtdblock4 and not mtdblock3 for the A855, but I usually just do this:
Code:
mount remount,ro /dev/null /system
which lets the system decide for itself which one is most appropriate to use.

Upvote 0
$ adb shell
$ su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
Firstly, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I had to follow this instruction to get my /system to mount as rw so that I could remove the systemupdater that keeps bothering me and it lead me to a few questions.

1.) What causes the adb remount to quit working? and
2.) Can someone explain or point me to an explanation of what the code does. I'm trying to learn all I can about linux and android and I just want to know more about the syntax and what is going on in that command. Thanks in advance to anyone who feels like responding :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones