• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Read-only USB storage without rooting is now possible!

Just a reminder to everyone, but this was a paid application.

The fact that it was taken down from the market does not give you permission to pirate it.

I've already deleted some posts about this and I'll let those slide, but any more attempts to share the .apk will be dealt with as per the forum rules.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Just a reminder to everyone, but this was a paid application.

The fact that it was taken down from the market does not give you permission to pirate it.

I've already deleted some posts about this and I'll let those slide, but any more attempts to share the .apk will be dealt with as per the forum rules.

Apologies, didn't realise it was paid.

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
Can someone explain the ex fat support removal and what it means feature wise (I guess it's to do with formatting)?

I have 2.0.2 and don't know whether to update or not.

exFAT is a file system, like NTFS, FAT32 or ext2/3/4. Long story short, it determines how files are stored on your hard drive/sdcard/etc. So yeah, when you format something, that's when you wipe all of the data and then change/reapply the file sytem.

Just a guess, but presumably Microsoft have a patent involving its usage. I know they have something similar for NTFS, which is the one windows uses.

Reactions: MartinS
Upvote 0
exFAT is a file system, like NTFS, FAT32 or ext2/3/4. Long story short, it determines how files are stored on your hard drive/sdcard/etc. So yeah, when you format something, that's when you wipe all of the data and then change/reapply the file sytem.

Just a guess, but presumably Microsoft have a patent involving its usage. I know they have something similar for NTFS, which is the one windows uses.

Another gotcha from MS is if you reformat large flash drives with Win7 you loose the fat32 option and only get NTFS or exFat32.
It is weird because the flash drive comes formatted as fat32.

Upvote 0
Google needs to come of their "cloud" and allow full OTG read/write with a stock update.

Yeah. I like the cloud stuff but with data plan caps and the rising cost of data plans, it's not very realistic if you're on the go and tethered to a mobile. Heck, streaming one CD worth of music can be 200 MB. And when I'm at home, I'm not going to WiFI music or movies to the N7 when I have a 50" plasma with a nice audio system and GoogleTV.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's very cheap, support the developers and buy it. :rolleyes:

100% agreed, though again- Google should allow full support out of box, IF they were not cloud huggers.

BTW, anybody try 64gb usb thumbdrives yet? Curious on the smoothness of video playback and if game roms work. Added: On second thought, since read-only would not be able to save data, so would not be too practical for a lot of games.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones