1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reading already read emails in stock client

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brettlewis, Dec 15, 2011.

1. brettlewis

brettlewis Android Expert

I have been having an issue with my phone where I sync up a second email account with the standerd email client and as soon as it is read (on the phone, in outlook, online) it will dissapear from the phones inbox. I have read through all the settings and can't seem to find a solution online.

Any suggestions?

mrichick likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. D-Royd

D-Royd Lurker

Has there been any answer to this issue? I am a new Nexus user, and I'm having the same problem. The emails do not delete, it just seems like the email client is hiding them. I would like the client to show all emails until I delete them. I have gone through all of the settings, and I do not see any setting for this.

Any help is appreciated.

3. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast

Is the email account POP or IMAP?

4. D-Royd

D-Royd Lurker

It's a POP account. The problem is on the phone, not the account. For some reason, the default email client hides most of the messages in the inbox. If I push the "Load more messages" button, all of the emails will populate the screen. But in a short period of time, it hides the oldest messages again. It's just really odd behavior.

The emails remain on my email server until Outlook downloads them on my laptop. That is the correct behavior for this mailbox. My frustration is just with the email client on my phone hiding inbox messages.

Thanks,

5. mrichick

mrichick Member

D-Royd, does outlook then delete the emails from your server after retrieving all the new ones? I also had this problem of disappearing pop3 email on the phone and couldn't figure out what had changed and it was making me crazy. I had just setup a new pc so after going into some outlook settings, turned off the option to have outlook delete from the server...I've not had them disappear anymore since.

6. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast

Yeah, I was thinking there was some sort of option like that on the server (webmail) side. Something like once the message is downloaded, delete from server.

But it sounds like that's not your case, any way. I guess there's no possibility of switching the account to IMAP? Does it happen to be an account that you manage the domain name-- like for your business @yourdomain DOT com?

7. D-Royd

D-Royd Lurker

Yes, Outlook does delete the emails when it downloads them, but that isn't the problem here. This bizarre behavior is happening while my laptop is off during the day, so it isn't downloading the messages. The emails on my Nexus aren't deleting, they are just disappearing, or hiding. It's almost like the default email client is only displaying 5 - 10 emails at a time in the inbox. If I click on the "Load new messages", all of the messages then reappear for a short period of time, then disappear again.

I do have my own domain, and I control my email. I am not using IMAP because I have two machines checking email, but only one needs to hold all messages. My phone only needs current messages throughout the day, so I use POP so that I can keep the inbox clean.

I just downloaded K-9, so I will see if that works. I was just hoping to find out why the default email client on ICS is acting this way.

Thanks,

8. mrichick

mrichick Member

I totally understand, lol, my issues were identical to what you're experiencing. I switched to k9 when i was troubleshooting as well to see if it helped (didn't) but once my emails stopped vanishing, ended up liking k9 more than the stock. Even if it's last resort, try changing the outlook delete on server...I gotta good feeling :')

9. D-Royd

D-Royd Lurker

Yea, I've heard a lot of good about K-9. Tomorrow I will change the Outlook delete setting to see if it works, can't hurt anything. It's just that these settings have remained the same through my two iPhones (bad time in my life ;) ) and my HTC Inspire. We'll see what happens.

Thanks,

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews